X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salts
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2019

Question abut Sunny Boy Inverters

I am going to be using two Sunny Boy SB6.0-1SP-US-40 inverters. To communicate with my home network, I understand that all I have to do is plug an ethernet cable into the inverter and run it to my router.

I noticed that the inverters have TWO ethernet connections on each inverter. It would seem that I can plug into either of them. If I run the main ethernet cable (from router) into Inverter A, can I then plug another cable the 2nd ethernet jack on Inverter A and run it to Inverter B ?

Would it still be two different user interfaces (two different IP Addresses I need to put into my browser) or would it combine the output power from both inverters into one screen?

PS> The forum software seems extremely slow.. When I click something, it hangs and says "WORKING" for like 30 seconds.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by Ampster
    Are they going to be stacked (parallell)? If so one of those ports may be used for communication between units. In that case one will probably be considered master and one slave. Its probably in the manual.
    Ampster. Stop spouting garbage. Absolute BS. If you don't know what something is, don't bloviate, and then say "read the manual". Don't weasel word "it may do this" .

I know the Schneider gear has 2 comm network ports. One is IN the other is OUT. their Xanbus is a daisy chain, with termination plugs at each end. It's not ethernet and has power on several of the lines. Plug an ethernet thingamabob in and it will be fried, according to the manual.

I don't have SB gear, and have no experience with them and so I say very little about SB, Magnum and other brands.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bob-n
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2019

I went to the web and searched for that model. It appears to have been replaced by Sunny Boy SB6.0-1SP-US-41. You may want to confirm that you're not buying old stock.

I looked at the spec sheet for that model, and it has both ethernet and 2.4GHz WLAN standard. If you can use wifi, you may not need a cable at all, depending on your network and distance between inverter and your wireless access point. You can also buy an optional Wifi antenna to extend range. Here's a guide to setting up wifi on the Sunny Boy:

I just read through their installation manual and couldn't find any information on why there are two ports. If you still plan to daisy-chain them, your best bet is to ask the manufacturer to confirm before buying. They have a "contact us" link on their website or dial 1-877-My-SMATech (assuming USA). They also have their European corporate phone number on their website.
      7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• bob-n
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2019

and please let us know what you learn. Thank you.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250

Ampster. Stop spouting garbage. Absolute BS. If you don't know what something is, don't bloviate, and then say "read the manual". Don't weasel word "it may do this" .

I know the Schneider gear has 2 comm network ports. One is IN the other is OUT. their Xanbus is a daisy chain, with termination plugs at each end. It's not ethernet and has power on several of the lines. Plug an ethernet thingamabob in and it will be fried, according to the manual.
          Bloviate?
          The definition of bloviate is to talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way. My response was 3 short sentences in one paragraph. How many times have I seen answers that have said, read the manual or read the book?
          I was trying to teach him how to fish by asking a simple question that might lead him to that section of the manual.I had had previous interactions with him and knew he had a basic level of competence.

Years ago I had a Xantrex and it had Xanbus ports like you described. Without reading the manual for the OP I was planning on sugggesting (using "may" as the operative word) that those ports were probably not Ethernet and just looked like that because they were RJ45 receptacles which are used on my inverter as communication ports as well as on my former Xantrex inverter. I was waiting to see if he answered the question about stacking and was pretty sure he probably had not started plugging in cables without reading the manual. I purposely did not give a long answer to avoid "bloviating".

I agree with you there is too much bloviating on this forum but if the purpose of the Moderators is to comment on a members style of communication it should be consistently applied.

If I violated some term of service please point me there and I will try to conform.
          Last edited by Ampster; 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Salts
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2019

Just ran a test.
            Adding a second inverter to the home network is as easy as plugging the second inverter's network cable into the first inverter's B slot.

They take on two different IP addresses so when you want to view them with your browser, you have to log into both inverters with two different tabs.. But it beats having to install a switch.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Glad you got it figured out safely without frying anything. I wasn't worried based on my prior interactions with you.

Comment

• Salts
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2019

Glad you got it figured out safely without frying anything. I wasn't worried based on my prior interactions with you.
                I'm no expert by any measure, but its been my experience that its damn near impossible to fry anything by plugging in a cat5 cable to it. They're pretty much stupid proof.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Salts
                  I'm no expert by any measure, but its been my experience that its damn near impossible to fry anything by plugging in a cat5 cable to it. They're pretty much stupid proof.
                  There are many proprietary schemes that use the generic 8pin RJ45 connector. One method uses it for RS232 cabling, another is Xanbus. Both of them supply voltages on lines which will likely fry ethernet gear

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

Like this.
                    https://getvoip.com/blog/2013/05/28/...ential-issues/

Comment

• Salts
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2019

There are many proprietary schemes that use the generic 8pin RJ45 connector. One method uses it for RS232 cabling, another is Xanbus. Both of them supply voltages on lines which will likely fry ethernet gear
                      Ya, but the sunny boy manual says you can plug the ethernet network cable into either port A or B.. so knowing both A and B are ethernet ports, it should either work or not.. but it shouldn't fry anything.

My Sunny Island inverters have a CAN BUS and Ethernet ports.. I don't think I would want to mix those up as I don't know what would happen.. both are the RJ45 connector.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

No worries I did not recommend that you plug in anything anyway.. My reference to the manual inferred that I did not know the answer but the answer was most likely in the manual I hope you did not think I was saying RTFM

Comment

• Salts
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2019

No worries I did not recommend that you plug in anything anyway.. My reference to the manual inferred that I did not know the answer but the answer was most likely in the manual I hope you did not think I was saying RTFM
                          Nothing in the manual about plugging one inverter into the other.. They mention the A and B ports, but don't tell you that they operate like a switch. Strange. Oh well.. it works, that's all I care about. If I had to install a switch, then that means I would have had to put in another breaker in the subpanel, run conduit, etc.. pain in the rear. SMA to the rescue!

Comment

Working...