Combiner box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combiner box

Can I add different arrays into a combiner box? For example 2 panels that are in series and 2 panels that are parrell. All the panels are same power etc.

A combiner box is basically a box for paralleling multiple strings of panels. You don't want to parallel different voltage and amperage inputs. What are you trying to accomplish by mixing different inputs?
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
      A combiner box is basically a box for paralleling multiple strings of panels. You don't want to parallel different voltage and amperage inputs. What are you trying to accomplish by mixing different inputs?
      I am have limited resources in mc connectors and supplies but somehow managed to get a hold of a combiner box and 2 extra panels, . So where I have 6 panels in parrell not using a combiner box, I have the mc4 connectors that are 3 prong to create 6 panels in parrell as i have all types of shading issues.

But I want to add 2 more panels exact same make power etc. so what I would like to know is do I need to run those 2 new panels as parrell or can I run them as a series and connect them to the combiner box?

Comment

So by pairing different amperage and votages you mean from diffrent type panels or set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by wpmaura View Post
          So by pairing different amperage and votages you mean from diffrent type panels or set ups.
          No. You said , using matching panels you are trying to combine a series pair and two in parallel, correct? The series pair will have twice the voltage and half the current as the paralleled pair.

Comment

Originally posted by wpmaura View Post

I am have limited resources in mc connectors and supplies but somehow managed to get a hold of a combiner box and 2 extra panels, . So where I have 6 panels in parrell not using a combiner box, I have the mc4 connectors that are 3 prong to create 6 panels in parrell as i have all types of shading issues.

But I want to add 2 more panels exact same make power etc. so what I would like to know is do I need to run those 2 new panels as parrell or can I run them as a series and connect them to the combiner box?
            Running them in series alongside a bunch of paralleled panels will give a bad result. Without knowing the other equipment you are using It is hard to recommend what to do. I can assume you are trying to charge a 12 volt battery and suggest you use a true MPPT controller and series wire your panels 2 at a time then run them into the combiner but that would just be a guess. Anyway I have to travel for the next 12 hours and won't be able to reply anymore today.
            Try describing, in better detail, your system and goals and maybe somebody will chime in to help.

Comment

Working...
            X