Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SecureJon
    • Apr 2018

Upgrade our 7kv system ? Assistance appreciated

We just got our true-up from PGE. some $700 dollars. We had the system installed and commissioned Jan 2016. We are happy with the system. However, since then, we have had a wonderful little daughter. We also had my father in law move in. I had the maximum 120% commissioned at install. In the past 2 years, I have replaced our dryer/washer, but I have also started charging my car at home (I have had the charger since Jan 2017, but until this June I used it only at weekends. Since this June past June its become 99% of my charging, and has added approx 2200 Kwh's. I have made sure our AC is serviced, but have been advised replacing it is not feasible as it was retrofitted to our 1962 house. I have included the data on our system - the panels, inverters ect. I have plenty of roof space, all with no shade and lots of california sun. I appreciate I will have to replace the inverter or add a second/bigger one. I welcome your suggestions. I would not be against adding a battery to our system.

PS - my existing system costs me $160 a month, with us paying off the solar mortgage Jan 2026

Jon
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Do you have a rate schedule that applies the EV discount and do you have time of use rates ?

I see no reason an efficient AC chiller can't be installed, someone does not want to take your $$ Look into some of the new high eff heat pumps too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SecureJon
      • Apr 2018

On the first, we are on NEM 1.0. only way to take advantage of ev rate is a separate meter. Pge said 2k for that. We are likely to become a two EV house in next year, but even then doesn't add up. Priority is creating an expandable supply infrastructure

Comment

• PugPower
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2019

Can you show us how many gross kWh your current system is generating monthly? I am also in CA and it seems to me you are using a lot of electricity and/or not generating as much as you should with a system of your size.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SecureJon
          On the first, we are on NEM 1.0. only way to take advantage of ev rate is a separate meter. Pge said 2k for that. We are likely to become a two EV house in next year, but even then doesn't add up. Priority is creating an expandable supply infrastructure
          I am on PGE, have two EVs and don't use a separate meter. I also have a smaller PV system, an electric dryer, AC and heat pump water heater and still will have a credit at my True Up. There are a number of rates, some of which are called EV rates and others just offer lower off peak pricing.

As suggested earlier, you may want to get more details about when you use electricity to find out which rates work best for you and how much you could save with your existing system. Shifting loads to take advantage of Time of Use rates is a lot less expensive than adding capacity.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...