SolarEdge cell vs. LAN and recent monitoring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge cell vs. LAN and recent monitoring issues

My system has a cell connection, but I brought ethernet to the SolarEdge box (to take advantage of higher-bandwidth monitoring) and configured the LAN interface appropriately. LAN worked fine for weeks/months but recently keeps reverting to cell despite my settings. Whenever I switch it back to LAN it will switch back to cell in a day or so. There do not seem to be any connection issues with the LAN causing it to revert to cell.

With the connection on LAN, monitoring has been sketchy for the past few days. Usually I can look at my house's consumption, see updates every few seconds, and see changes in real time as I turn appliances on/off. But sometimes the updates aren't as frequent or the data seems inacurate. Production & consumption day plots have also been iffy lately, for example consumption wasn't plotted for one day this weekend and then all of a sudden filled in.

Is this an issue with the SolarEdge monitoring system, or do I need look more into my local connection? I noticed a recent thread mentioning a "stuck packet" issue.

Finally, battery energy level is plotted on the monitoring web site but not the iOS app. This has been going on since I acquired the system last summer and is likely just a known feature missing from the app.

With the new high speed ethernet cables, they are extremely sensitive to kinks or flaws in the cable. That's my first guess, a damaged cable.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. The monitoring has been quite good for the past few days since I disconnected the cell card to force LAN usage. While I agree it is possible the LAN connection was problematic and is now intermittent, I'm wondering if it was a transient issue with SolarEdge's monitoring system that affected real-time updates and the plot. I'm also wondering if a policy pushed by the installer or SolarEdge forced the switch back to cell from LAN or if a firmware update made the configuration go back to cell. Is it typical for SolarEdge's monitoring to "flake out" from time to time? I did some forum searching and it seemed like there were such cases. In all of the reading I've done on folks who started with cell and added LAN, I saw no mention of a system reverting back to cell on its own. Also, when I first installed LAN, I remember if I disconnected LAN or was tweaking my router, the SolarEdge would simply fail the LAN check (when the LCD increments through a series of 0's and 1's and eventually passes all or stops and reports a problem, e.g. DHCP) and would just stay in an error state but never reverted back to cell.

Comment

My StorEdge inverter has been using an Ethernet LAN connection from day 1. One seemingly random day, my monitoring completely stopped working. I checked the inverter and it had somehow switched over to cellular connection on its own. The SIM obviously wasn't activated so it didn't work but I manually switched it back to LAN and shutoff cellular connection. It hasn't done it again for a few months so who knows.

I can't even imagine being Joe Blow homeowner having to contact my installer to fix little things like this.

Comment

Working...
        X