Question about mystery part in solar setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about mystery part in solar setup

In this instructable, https://www.instructables.com/id/Apa...-Solar-System/ when the guy says plugin point, do you think he is referring to the switch box/extension box? I'm wondering if the last part I need in the sequence before the appliance is a switch box.

If someone writes an instructable and cannot explain themselves, I'm not bothering to watch it for you. I's say pass on it. i don't have the bandwidth (I get 12gb /month) to watch all the lame you fool and such.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I looked at the page,

No one should be making that system,

There is one circuit breaker between the panel and controller deemed to be for lightning strike on the panel to prevent the battery exploding!!!!!!

No other fuses or breakers in the AC or DC

Comment

That page is misleading by making people believe they can build a "safe" solar power generation system. It is not safe and any use of a battery will rarely pay for itself compared to just purchasing power from your electric utility.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what components I would need to research and source, at the minimum, to build my own off-grid 3.5 kw solar system? Or any guides that would have complete setup instructions?
          Bala, I just read the comments on that guide, and someone was saying you need a fuse or a breaker between each component. Is this accurate?
          SunEagle, so are you saying it's hard to nearly impossible to DIY your own home solar system? Would you recommend some time spent researching on this forum as one of the steps in order to do that?
          Would the guide I linked to work if I connected a fuse/breaker between the solar panels, circuit breakers, charge controller, batteries, inverter, and plug point? Or should I just leave out the circuit breakers altogether?
          Last edited by bonzo78; 11-25-2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

If you just want some off grid power, get a generator. A solar system capable of delivering
            3.5KW is expensive, and that cost will multiply horribly as the required operating time (before
            batteries die) increases to a day or more. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo78 View Post
              Can anyone tell me what components I would need to research and source, at the minimum, to build my own off-grid 3.5 kw solar system? Or any guides that would have complete setup instructions?
              Bala, I just read the comments on that guide, and someone was saying you need a fuse or a breaker between each component. Is this accurate?
              SunEagle, so are you saying it's hard to nearly impossible to DIY your own home solar system? Would you recommend some time spent researching on this forum as one of the steps in order to do that?
              Would the guide I linked to work if I connected a fuse/breaker between the solar panels, circuit breakers, charge controller, batteries, inverter, and plug point? Or should I just leave out the circuit breakers altogether?
              In short yes you need fuses/breakers in many places.

Building a system that is safe and that will do the job required is not easy.

You have stated you want a 3.5 kw system. For off grid you need to talk in terms of Kwh, so battery storage.

Have a read of all the info in the stickies in the off grid section of this forum.

FYI, 3 Kwh a day off grid system done properly is not a small system so not cheap to build.

Comment

Would it be a little more advanced to setup than a say, 600w or 1kw system?

Comment

Would it be a little more advanced to setup than a say, 600w or 1kw system?
                  First off where are you located. In the USA you have to follow electrical safety code to build even a small off grid system.

To answer your question. The bigger the system the more complicated it can get concerning the wiring, over-current protection, battery charging, and DC to AC inverting.

Comment

The tutorial would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. These are some actual safety tips from that page:

Safety: While soldering do not touch the tip of the soldering iron.
                    Wear Dark Glasses while installing the Solar Panel.
                    Do not look Directly at the Sun.

Comment

I am located in Ontario. I think the regulations are that you can install your own solar system if it is rated under 10 kw.
                      Okay, that makes sense.

Comment

I am located in Ontario. I think the regulations are that you can install your own solar system if it is rated under 10 kw.
                        Okay, that makes sense.
                        Sounds ok as long as you follow all CSA codes for the installation as well as any local requirements. One problem I have seen with sites like you posted is that they do not care about your system being safe. They just like to boast about what they did or what they can sell you which usually ends up with a crap system that fails within months of installation.

Building an off grid system includes batteries and unless your cost of electricity is > $0.50/kWh US a battery ends up not saving you any money. The best way to have a solar system pay for itself is to install a grid tie system. They can be DIY if allowed but they still need to meet local safety codes.

Comment

SunEagle, I think you're probably right. I might as well pay the cost to get them to install electricity, seeing as with a small cabin, I wouldn't really be using very much electricity anyways. So the upfront cost for the solar system would probably be more in the long run. I'll probably leave the solar setup to when I build a bigger house and want a grid-tied system. Thanks for your input.

Comment

SunEagle, I think you're probably right. I might as well pay the cost to get them to install electricity, seeing as with a small cabin, I wouldn't really be using very much electricity anyways. So the upfront cost for the solar system would probably be more in the long run. I'll probably leave the solar setup to when I build a bigger house and want a grid-tied system. Thanks for your input.
                            As much as I would like to say go solar, it is very hard for most people to justify spending the money over and over again for new batteries that provide a fraction of what someone needs to run all of their loads. While the up front cost to install grid power may be high it usually is much cheaper in the long run that having a stand alone solar/battery system.

Comment

Working...
                            X