Need recommendation for Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need recommendation for Controller

Have new 400 watts on the roof sun all day. 2, 200 amp 6 volt batteries, may go to 4 batteries. Bought controller and I cannot understand directions (from China) Could someone please recommend a controller With direction I can understand perferably in English. THANKS

give us the brand model#, it's possible we can translate from tech to english

Are your panels in series or parallel, do you know if you need PWM or MPPT (generally, after 300w, MPPT is more desirable)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      give us the brand model#, it's possible we can translate from tech to english

Are your panels in series or parallel, do you know if you need PWM or MPPT (generally, after 300w, MPPT is more desirable)
      The panels are in parallel and generate 23 volts in bright sun. The controller is an MPPT 12/24 volts 60 Amps. I guess in brief I dont understand what 1, Discharge recovery is and what discharge cut off voltage is. also does this sound about the right voltage the panels should be putting out ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dinows View Post
        does this sound about the right voltage the panels should be putting out ? Thanks
        It's about right if they are in parallel and not connected yet, this setup would be appropriate for a PWM controller, but an MPPT controller might need a higher voltage to work properly; with MPPT you typically wire the panels in series to take advantage of the benefits that MPPT offers.

Comment

Fake MPPT controller..jpg
          Originally posted by sdold View Post
          It's about right if they are in parallel and not connected yet, this setup would be appropriate for a PWM controller, but an MPPT controller might need a higher voltage to work properly; with MPPT you typically wire the panels in series to take advantage of the benefits that MPPT offers.
          Is the controller a true MPPT or just labeled as such? There are bogus controllers with that exact name.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

How to tell a true MPPT controller from a counterfeit

method 1
            Measure input voltage - should be well above battery voltage, almost exactly what your series panel Vmp is. 2 panels series: Vmp + Vmp = 2Vmp ( 19V + 19V = 38V )
            Measure battery voltage - should be above your default voltage , a 12V battery should read 13 - 15V while it is charging

method 2
            Using a clip-on DC ampmeter, measure input amps suppose it's 3A
            Output amps to the battery should be more amps depending on the voltage conversion ratio. for 3A in, expect 4 or 5A output to the battery.

See attached pic for a 48V battery bank, how high voltage, low amps, converts to battery voltage higher amps
            ( this was early AM, while things were just getting lit up )

Tristar_Live_12-2017.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

OK thanks, controller.JPG I am going to have to digest what you said as I am new to this, I am going to post a picture of the controller which sells for 18 dollars on ebay.

Comment

I recently installed a Renogy Rover MPPT controller on my trailer. It works adequately, had decent documentation and was reasonably priced. I have had several occasions to contact Renogy tech support with pre-sales questions and programming questions. I have been pleased with the level of support that I received.

But... As was pointed out above, you will need to wire the panels in series for the MPPT controller to function properly.

Comment

Originally posted by dinows View Post
                  OK thanks, controller.JPG I am going to have to digest what you said as I am new to this, I am going to post a picture of the controller which sells for 18 dollars on ebay.
                  There are no $18.00 MPPT controllers. Sorry.
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I agree. There is no such thing as an eighteen dollar MPPT.
                    you got what you paid for. Ask more questions before making your next purchase to avoid scams like this. The published specs will tell you all you need to know. If they don’t, then you probably need to look elsewhere. There seem to be more and more cheap controllers that say MPPT, but aren’t.

Comment

Have you found a solution?

If not, I will recommend the Renogy Rover again. I was out servicing my batteries and checking on the controller. They were happily sitting on "Float" with SG running 1.261-1.266 .

​​​​​​No doubt the name brand controllers selling for 4-8 times the cost are the best solution if you have the budget for them. I have installed a couple of them in limited budget installations and I am liking the "bang for the buck" you get for a bit over $100.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X