microinverter EMI value at 0 distance point.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinpal
    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle

Correct. I wouldn't worry about stray RF or EMF generated from solar equipment. For that matter if is is approved in the USA it must meet FCC standards which limit the output noise it can generate.

You probably get more RF and noise from a Ham Operator that is next door to you.
    Ok. Thank you, SunEagle!

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

You are welcome.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

My XW inverter has cleaner power than the grid. When your neighbor starts the skill saw, or welder.....
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Correct. I wouldn't worry about stray RF or EMF generated from solar equipment. For that
          matter if is is approved in the USA it must meet FCC standards which limit the output noise
          it can generate.

You probably get more RF and noise from a Ham Operator that is next door to you.
          In fact the radio noise floor (not a danger to anyone) has been steadily rising over my
          lifetime. It has the most effect on low band AM radios, HAMs do not like it. I went to a
          seminar at FERMILAB attempting to quantify just where we are. It is true equipment is
          supposed to meet regulations, but the original thought was that a few such items here
          and there would not amount to much, once you moved away from them. What has
          happened with transistor and SCR switchers everywhere, is we are saturated with
          barely legal noisy devices, it is impossible to get away from them.

My own opinion over the decades of my HAM license, is that every device should be
          filtered to the point it cannot be detected outside the same room. Yes that is usually
          possible (as I have demonstrated), but industry does not want to pay the cost, and
          the public is entirely ignorant of it. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kevinpal

The fact is that some people installed solar getting this dirty electricity or their neighbors too

Is the because the solar was not properly installed by licensed contractor or something?
            Have you tested your lines to see if it is clean?
            More crap from utube: "The New Idiot's Bible".

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

In fact the radio noise floor (not a danger to anyone) has been steadily rising over my
              lifetime. It has the most effect on low band AM radios, HAMs do not like it. I went to a
              seminar at FERMILAB attempting to quantify just where we are. It is true equipment is
              supposed to meet regulations, but the original thought was that a few such items here
              and there would not amount to much, once you moved away from them. What has
              happened with transistor and SCR switchers everywhere, is we are saturated with
              barely legal noisy devices, it is impossible to get away from them.

My own opinion over the decades of my HAM license, is that every device should be
              filtered to the point it cannot be detected outside the same room. Yes that is usually
              possible (as I have demonstrated), but industry does not want to pay the cost, and
              the public is entirely ignorant of it. Bruce Roe
              I am glad to see you are taking steps to reduce the RF from your equipment.

Long time ago I use to live next to a HAM and when he turned his "beam" in the direction of our TV antenna we would hear him talking on our set. His transmissions were also picked up on most of our radios. But again that was ages ago.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

I am glad to see you are taking steps to reduce the RF from your equipment.

Long time ago I use to live next to a HAM and when he turned his "beam" in the direction of our TV antenna we would hear him talking on our set. His transmissions were also picked up on most of our radios. But again that was ages ago.
                HAMs operate under a completely different set of rules, a lot of energy deliberately radiated on a
                very narrow bandwidth. Sometime cheap nearby equipment cannot handle it, a cure is usually
                possible.

Things like computers, dimmers, brush motors, and much more have no need to radiate at all,
                but they do over an extremely wide bandwidth. The radiation is low, but they all add up.
                Bruce Roe K9MQG since 1958

Comment

• Slick1
                  • Apr 2020

I have a Fronius inverter and when it's operational it creates noise on the power lines throughout the house (a source of EMF in the RF range).

I also tested a variety of other solar PV systems with a centralised inverter and found they are all noisy.

Micro inverters ought to be a bit less noisy than a single centralised inverter?

Has anyone tested their micro inverter system for noise?

Comment

• kevinpal
                    • Oct 2019

I have enphase iq7+ micro inverters. I have been working from home these days but I don't here any noise at all.
                    I also checked EMF in each room before and after installing solar system and there's no difference in terms of EMF.

Comment

• Slick1
                      • Apr 2020

Thanks for confirming that Kevin.
                      Very few people know about noise, even fewer know that solar power is often noisy and even less measure the noise.

What testing method/equipment did you use to check the noise/EMF?

It was RF that got worst as the noise on the power lines increased.

Comment

• kevinpal
                        • Oct 2019

I did not measure the noise.
                        I used this device to measure EMF.

you might want to take a look at this thread.
                        Hello, Is it worth enclosing ALL the wiring from my solar panels to the main disconnect switch in metal conduit for RF noise protection? Does it change anything if

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Slick1
                          I have a Fronius inverter and when it's operational it creates noise on
                          the power lines throughout the house (a source of EMF in the RF range).
                          I also tested a variety of other solar PV systems with a centralised inverter and found they are all noisy.
                          Micro inverters ought to be a bit less noisy than a single centralised inverter?
                          Has anyone tested their micro inverter system for noise?
                          These switching power conversion devices are inherently terrible noise generators.
                          The good ones use filters and shielding to contain most of the noise before it
                          reaches the wiring. My Fronius IG PLUS 7.5s were found to do a good job, no
                          interference to my radio equipment. If otherwise, I would have built a hardware
                          cloth shield around them with industrial level filters on connecting wires.

I do not see how micro inverters can compete and put in all the shielding +
                          filtering that a centralized inverter might have. I would expect them to be a
                          terrible source of noise which cannot be contained, since it is spread over the
                          entire array. Bruce Roe

Comment

• nwdiver
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by bcroe

These switching power conversion devices are inherently terrible noise generators.
                            The good ones use filters and shielding to contain most of the noise before it
                            reaches the wiring. My Fronius IG PLUS 7.5s were found to do a good job, no
                            interference to my radio equipment. If otherwise, I would have built a hardware
                            cloth shield around them with industrial level filters on connecting wires.

I do not see how micro inverters can compete and put in all the shielding +
                            filtering that a centralized inverter might have. I would expect them to be a
                            terrible source of noise which cannot be contained, since it is spread over the
                            entire array. Bruce Roe
                            If you make a ripple in an ocean does it really matter? That's basically what the 'noise' generated by a micro inverter amounts too. Disturbances in the grid happen on the supply and demand sides. A motor starting is orders of magnitude 'noisier' than an inverter.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nwdiver

If you make a ripple in an ocean does it really matter? That's basically what the 'noise' generated by a micro inverter amounts too. Disturbances in the grid happen on the supply and demand sides. A motor starting is orders of magnitude 'noisier' than an inverter.
                              While that motor may create noise when it starts it may not do so continuously. An inverter or just about any Switched power supply will continuously create noise or harmonics which will affect sensitive equipment and sometimes cause them to fail early. That noise can be through RF or Harmonics on the power lines.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by nwdiver

If you make a ripple in an ocean does it really matter?
                                I'd think it might depend on what you're trying to measure as well as the state of the surface of the ocean when the ripple is made, and maybe what's happening with things under the surface.

Comment

Working...