Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billy_d
    • Oct 2017

Small system advice?

Currently we have two 300 watt panels connected to two Marine batteries to power our house lighting (12vdc LED) The batteries are identical group 31, 800 CCA, 185 minute reserve and 105 amp hour. Right now we just use the system for our lighting, and it more than adequate. I installed a cheap 2000 watt Chinese inverter and its junk. I accidentally left it on (with zero load) and after 2 days it drained my batteries. My question is: Do I have enough battery? enough panels? I currently use a PWM 30 amp controller.
    Next year, we are building a new house. 1717 square feet. As it will be a new house, we have no idea what the power consumption will be. We will be going completely solar and wind. I thinking 40- 50 300 watt panels, and the controllers to accommodate. Adding a few wind turbines as well, perhaps 2-3 at 2000 watts each. Will this be enough to power our house? I would like to add electric baseboard heaters as well, to supplement the woodstove and propane furnace, or is this asking too much?
    Also, with a large system like this, the panel voltage numbers tell me I will have to have a very complicated series/parallel configuration to run to the (Morningstar) controllers. How many will I need? Would it be a good idea to have several separate "circuits"?.
    Thanks in advance, and MANY more silly question to follow
    BDR - Near Orillia, Canada.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Dump the 2kw inverter and buy one that is more suited to your loads. You can even get 12V LED lighting modules, and not need an inverter, but they are handy for charging cell phones and laptops, and the occasional blended drink.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Billy_d
      • Oct 2017

Yes I have relegated the 2kw heat sink to the scrap metal pile. and the lights I use are 12 vdc LEDs designed for Rv's etc. I ran 16 gauge speaker wire through the attic for switches and lights etc.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Dump the 2kw inverter and buy one that is more suited to your loads. You can even get 12V LED lighting modules, and not need an inverter, but they are handy for charging cell phones and laptops, and the occasional blended drink.
        You can charge your phones and laptops from 12v and I did run into a gent on the beach in Mexico. He had adapted a weed eater engine to a blender. He served margaritas until he ran out of gas. Then we moved to tequila shots....

Comment

• Billy_d
          • Oct 2017

my PWM has a USB port on it, and I like my booze straight up :P

Comment

• JRN
            • Sep 2019

Does this set up make sense? 3 100w panels in series w/ 10 amp in line switch to a 40amp Mppt

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by PNW_Steve
              .......... He had adapted a weed eater engine to a blender. He served margaritas until he ran out of gas. Then we moved to tequila shots....
              My weedeater gets nearly an hour on a tank !!!

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250

My weedeater gets nearly an hour on a tank !!!
                Sounds about right.

Comment

• rgudgel
                  • Jul 2017

It is not common to use electric heat from a battery based system. I have NEVER heard of anyone doing that. You need to do some basic math as a sanity check. Then hire an experienced solar installer. You have already made some errors in your small system. Marine batteries and Chinese inverter. You will be spending a lot of money on this system, so you should want to get the best system possible. You cannot put more than a couple Morningstar controllers in a system as they have no way to stack. In a big system you must have your controllers stacked to operate all at once otherwise it is likely you will destroy the batteries

Comment

Working...