Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Cost of Solar Panel Roof Mounts

Hello,

What seems to be the average cost of solar panel roof mounting hardware for those of you who are/were professionals in the trade (or even knowledgable DIYers)? Any common calculation per watt or panel?

I am juggling various solar electric systems bids and getting a feel for the average pricing of the components. HA, it is all over the place! I can track down retail pricing for the solar panels, micro inverters, etc. fairly easily. However, the roof mounting hardware has allot of variables and is a little more difficult. Ironridge is the manufacturer that most installers are using in my area and what I preferred when I was considering doing the whole project myself.

If you need more information, my system will be 40 solar panels in landscape and 6 in portrait orientation.

Peace,
    Dr. Z.
    Last edited by Zeigh; 08-20-2019, 11:26 PM.

You may want to read the previous thread below.
    https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...cost-in-the-us

Comment

Originally posted by Zeigh View Post
      What seems to be the average cost of solar panel roof mounting hardware for those of you who are/were professionals in the trade (or even knowledgable DIYers)?
      .Any common calculation per watt or panel?
      IMO if there is an "average", it's not really relevant to what you really are looking for.

However, the roof mounting hardware has allot of variables and is a little more difficult.
      There's a lot of different kinds of roofs.
      And there's also differences in what is required based on the location.
      A house with a steel roof that regularly has high winds is going to be different from a composition roof where there's rarely a wind over 15mph.

Since you're looking for a specific project, the question you really want to ask yourself is "How much is it going to cost for my project?"

And really since you're no longer going to do it yourself, pricing out components that are going to be used to build your system is pointless.

It sounds like you're already talking to some installers. And what it costs the installer doesn't matter for you - you're going to pay them the contracted amount whether they get the rails for $5k or $8k.
      (Unless you find someone that will do a time-and-materials contract. But that'd be really really really rare I think - I haven't heard of any solar installer doing that.)

If I were buying (instead of DIY) I would spend time researching the installers - talk to their previous customers, check BBB, state licensing. Do web searches on them.
      That will help you in deciding who to hire.
      As will looking at the contract/estimate that they provide you with.

Trying to figure out what they pay for supplies doesn't help you make a decision IMO.

Comment

Hi,

The average cost per watt is calculated based on different roofs, normally the more complicated design will increase the budget.

For example, metal roof could have more choice mounting design than tile roof.

how about your roof type?

Ps: We are focus on the solar mounting system which have many experience solution both for roof and ground, hope this message could help you.

Roy

Comment

Solar mounting systems are expensive. I use my own system which costs half of what Ironridge or Unirack costs. Yes, I have to pay a local structural engineer once in a while to approve the system when required by building departments, but that is not often. The manufacturers incur a lot of engineering costs in keeping their systems approved nationwide. They also keep redesigning their systems to keep up their marketing position of new, new, new... And don't get me started on how hard it is to use these mounting systems with all their custom made special parts and pieces. Just the shipping costs alone on the long custom extruded rail pieces justify my approach as I can get standard aluminum shapes in 25ft lengths delivered for free from a regional supplier and end up with virtually no splices on the roof.
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix
            Solar mounting systems are expensive. I use my own system which
            costs half of what Ironridge or Unirack costs.

I can get standard aluminum shapes in 25ft lengths delivered for free from a regional
            supplier and end up with virtually no splices on the roof.
            25 feet is the limit from my local metal supplier too. So my ground mounts that are
            near 70 feet long have a couple of splices. Basically the standard residential suppliers
            offer nothing for variable tilt ground mounts. Bruce Roe

TAsplDetail.JPG

Comment

Working...
            X