California Rule 21, SolarEdge Legacy and New Compliant Inverter System.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jzchen
    • Oct 2012

California Rule 21, SolarEdge Legacy and New Compliant Inverter System.

I received an email from SolarEdge about updating to the latest release for Rule 21. I then contacted them because my system was installed in 2013, one inverter broke in 2017, and was replaced under warranty. So I have a legacy inverter and a fully updated inverter. When the tech tried to push an update on the older one it somehow crashed, the other one when I check seems full updated now.

I chat with tech support and another tech sent me an update for my older inverter. I was able to run it, but the CPU, DSP1, and DSP2 are still old, and do not comply with Rule 21.

Hopefully they will help me resolve this issue?

Thanks!
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Generally, making new rules, does not require any retrofits. But replacements may need to be compliant.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jzchen
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
      Generally, making new rules, does not require any retrofits. But replacements may need to be compliant.
      Thank you Mike! Reading up on the new rule seems like it's quite important to stability of the grid, although I do not understand the details quite honestly. I'm glad they are attempting to help me update it, (seems like the latest update should be compliant), rather than telling me exactly what you note.

Currently the ticket I made says "site visit required". It's interesting how Enphase has retrofitted many systems in HI for their new rule. Hopefully... I'll report back as soon as/if it gets resolved.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jzchen

Thank you Mike! Reading up on the new rule seems like it's quite important to stability of the grid, although I do not understand the details quite honestly. I'm glad they are attempting to help me update it, (seems like the latest update should be compliant), rather than telling me exactly what you note.
        Yes, my vague understanding has to do with frequency/Watt curtailment and some timing that would prevent all the rooftop systems in the state from shutting down at once.
        Iironically, Jack Rickard of EVTV, recently published a video in which he implies that Rule 21 is a conspiracy among California utilities to curtail rooftop solar so the utilities can sell more power. Jack is now in the battery backed inverter business and this may be a thinly disguised attempt to sell more systems.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...