X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slavco
    • May 2019

Adding more solar panels to existing setup

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help and suggestions on adding some additional panels to my existing array. I currently have 6 Photowatt PW-1650 panels which are 165w each, these are the exact specs for them:
    24v Configuration
    Typical power [W] 155 165 175
    Minimum power [W] 150 160 170
    Voltage at typical power [V] 34 34.4 35
    Current at typical power [A] 4.6 4.8 5
    Short circuit current [A] 4.8 5.1 5.3
    Open circuit voltage [V] 43 43.2 43.4
    Max system voltage 770V DC

As far as I can tell, the panels now are wired 2 series / 3 parallel

These panels are a few years old, and I can't locate the exact same ones, and replacing them all is just not in the budget right now. What I would like to do is add some more panels (1-3 more) to get a bit more power from the sun. I can't add too many due to cost/space limitations. Can you guys offer some suggestions as to wattage/size/ that I should be looking for? The guy I spoke to at local solar shop said I need to use 300w or 340w panels (which are massive). Is that my only option? Could I go with 2 240watt panels?

Second question is, what would be the best way to wire the new panels into the existing set up? The new panels would ideally be located in a different spot than my current panels, do I need to run the wires back to the combiner box or can I join them at the solar panel breaker box closer to my charge controller?

I've attached a simplified diagram to help explain what I'm thinking... any suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Slav

Attached Files
Working...