SolarEdge consumption meter compatibility problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge consumption meter compatibility problem

I had asked my installer to add the SolarEdge consumption meter to our system. They got it all mounted up, and had trouble getting it working - he then went to SolarEdge and said that our inverter is too old - he was lead to believe that a board inside needed to be replaced, so the whole thing seems like a bust. We needed a version '3' of something and we only have a version '2', and SolarEdge didn't even offer to ship out a new board or anything. So after all that work, they are going to come out next week sometime and uninstall the consumption meter.

That being said, I understand that firmware updates can be applied - I am wondering whether that's the only problem and that SolarEdge miscommunicated. What we have is this:

Currently have DSP2 version 2.52.506
    Comm board version 2.1054.0
    DSP1 version 1.210.1232

So the question is whether this is really a hardware limitation that cannot be overcome with a firmware uprade. Anyone know the real story?

Another less than ideal situation associated with SolarEdge equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
      Another less than ideal situation associated with SolarEdge equipment.
      Yeah, I hear you. I am a bit shocked at the amount of time these guys wasted on hold with SolarEdge. I would have thought that the installers would get better phone service than us mere end users.

I found this document:

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tion-guide.pdf

In Chapter 3 they explicitly say that the CPU must be version 3.2223 or greater. But in the text they talk about firmware uprades and then they have a link here:

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...ro_sd_card.pdf

that suggests that it is just a simple firmware upgrade. Although the question remains whether one can do firmware upgrades from version 2 to version 3. I see no discussion that suggests that this isn't possible, but I don't have access to the firmware download page either.

I can send this off to our installer and see if this helps at all. Firmware upgrades always have a risk of their own, of course, and there is always the theoretical chance that you end up bricking the thing instead. It wouldn't surprise me if the installer is sick of dealing with all of this - I feel like I should at least buy the guy a beer or something for all of the wasted effort.

Comment

The installer was already down this road. He was trying to flash the firmware, ran into trouble, and wasted an hour on the phone with SolarEdge before finding out that the comms board was too old.

But none of that is in any of the documentation. I guess for new installs it never comes up - it only happens when someone wants to retrofit the meter onto a system installed a few years back (ours was installed in 2014)

Comment

Working...
        X