X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrixed
    • May 2019

Wire size

Hi all!
    If my batteries have 430ah each and connected in series, which wire size should I use for the following connections:
    1 - The wire to interconnect both batteries
    2 - The wire to use between the batteries and the inverter
    3 - The wire between the batteries and the fuse box?

Knowing that 4 AWG can carry 230amp do I need to go bigger?
    Thanks!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

The wire and fuse size is dependent on a few things.

What is your CC max output rating in amps?
    What is your inverter max output rating in watts
    What is the battery system voltage rating?

Comment

• Chrixed
      • May 2019

My CC max output is 40amp
      Inverter I'm planing to add a 2000W
      My batteries are 2x6v 430ah in series so 12v 430ah

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

With a 40amp CC your wire size between the charger and batteries should be rated for at least 40 amps. That is probably a #8 AWG copper or larger

With a 2000 watt inverter and a 12V battery system you can see 170 amps or more if the inverter has a peak rating above 2000watts. So the wire between your battery and inverter & between the two batteries should be at least a #2/0 copper or more.

I am not sure what your DC loads are but the peak load will determine the wire size between the 12V battery and the fuse box. But you can size the main fuse lower then what the wire can handle. The fuse will protect the wire.

Also I do not know where you got that a #4 AWG can handle 230amps. That is way too many amps for a #4 copper wire which I would say can handle about 80 to 90 amps max..

Comment

• Umpa
          • Apr 2019

I think he confused #4 AWG with #4/0 from a chart like this
          The tables below are intended to be a general guide for wire size and amp...

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Need to know the expected amps and the length of the cables, low amps & long cables can cause an inverter shutdown from low voltage.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Chrixed
              • May 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle
              With a 40amp CC your wire size between the charger and batteries should be rated for at least 40 amps. That is probably a #8 AWG copper or larger

With a 2000 watt inverter and a 12V battery system you can see 170 amps or more if the inverter has a peak rating above 2000watts. So the wire between your battery and inverter & between the two batteries should be at least a #2/0 copper or more.

I am not sure what your DC loads are but the peak load will determine the wire size between the 12V battery and the fuse box. But you can size the main fuse lower then what the wire can handle. The fuse will protect the wire.

Also I do not know where you got that a #4 AWG can handle 230amps. That is way too many amps for a #4 copper wire which I would say can handle about 80 to 90 amps max..

Thanks SunEagle!
              I'll go buy some 2/0 wire for the inverter connection and I have some pieces of 1/0 to connect batteries together.

Heres what I've already bought:
              - #6 to connect the CC to the batteries
              - #4 to connect fuse box to batteries (Running 12V fridge 48ah/day, 12v water pump 7.5amp, 12v ceiling fan 1.5amp and couple of LED 12v lights)
              - 30ft of 10 AWG to connect my solar panels to the CC (2 panels 295W each in series, 40v, 9.70 Isc)

Does that sounds right ?
              This is my upgraded cottage solar power setup.
              Last edited by Chrixed; 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Chrixed
                • May 2019

Justrealized I did a mistake :-/. I bought an Epever 40amp CC which can handle 520W of panels on 12v batteries setup.
                I have 590W total solar panels... Should I try it like that?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Chrixed
                  Justrealized I did a mistake :-/. I bought an Epever 40amp CC which can handle 520W of panels on 12v batteries setup.
                  I have 590W total solar panels... Should I try it like that?
                  The Charger spec should mention the absolute max input wattage. If your panel totals exceed that amount you might think about aiming a couple of them in a different direction so not all produce their total wattage amount at the same time

Comment

• Chrixed
                    • May 2019

Well since it's two big panels plus the limited space where they will be installed I think I will return the CC and go for a bigger one...

Comment

• Umpa
                      • Apr 2019

For me I figured that the panels won't produce their peek output, they are not at the optimal angle (basically what the shed roof is), and for me at least my panels are facing west - not the best as I understand.

So for me at the moment I have seen a max power of around 480W but usually a bit less. What I have found is that during cloudy weather (which being in England is mostly) I get between 200 - 300W for the biggest part of the day so having more panel has paid off for me. Remember my set up is a shed, and nothing but a hobby. YMMV and you won't go far wrong following the advice of the guys on here.

Edit for clarity :-
                      I have 600W of panel feeding a 40A epever tracer AN,
                      Last edited by Umpa; 06-06-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Chrixed
                        • May 2019

If I buy a 60amp which one is best under 400$?
                        I found the SR-ML 4860 SRNE 60Amps and the Renogy but not a lor of reviews on them

Comment

Working...