X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foo1bar
    replied
    Originally posted by magicbus View Post
    So I'm thinking 10 AWG should be a good choice. Would you agree? Or should I go bigger still? For some reason it just seems small. Is my math screwy?
    What is the voltage drop you'll see for the given amps, wire size and length?
    What is that voltage drop as a percentage of your expected voltage?

The cons of going with larger than necessary wire are extra cost and difficulty in getting the wire to fit in a given conduit or bend around tight corners.
    The pros are less voltage drop, less heat, more safety margin w.r.t. having too much current flowing through the wire.
    So going a little larger on the wire is OK.

And you're probably looking at NEC for the wire sizing - but an RV I think falls under different codes (if any code) because it's a vehicle. And I have no idea which type of wire are acceptable for use in an RV. (Is THHW2 OK? Don't know. Is there some some wire/wire-insulation that's specific to vehicles? I think so, but don't know)

Leave a comment:

• Wire sizing double-check and wire selection advice needed

My question is in reference to the wire run from an rv-roof-mounted panel combiner box to an MPPT controller located inside the cabin.

GT panels are arranged in a 2x3 array (3 parallel strings of 2 series-wired panels each). Each panel 300W @ 32V. Panels and combiner box on top of an RV roof in AZ desert (hot, hot, and then hotter still).

My math gives me 14 combined amps (@63V) from the array. 10 awg 90-degree copper de-rated by .41 for high temps (159 - 176... the highest temp de-rating value in the table I'm referencing) gives me 16.4 amps.

My run will be ~ 20 feet max, and the only portion of the wire that will be actually be exposed to the extreme temps I expect will be at or near the combiner box itself.

So I'm thinking 10 AWG should be a good choice. Would you agree? Or should I go bigger still? For some reason it just seems small. Is my math screwy?

Also, what specific wire type/brand would you choose for this run and/or anything between the panels and the combiner box? The higher heat-rating the better, I'd think, but I don't really know what there is to choose from over 90.
    Last edited by magicbus; 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM.
Working...
X