SE11400H SetApp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE11400H SetApp question

Hello All. I had my 10kW inverter switched out to an 11400 over a month ago by my installer. (no charge) I finally won the argument that it was a better inverter for my 12.96kW system. I've NEVER had monoriting with this inverter. Installer says it's a new model and Solar Edge doesn't have a compatible wifi antenna for it. I'm beginning to think BS. I see the SetApp instructions for installers on youtube posted 11 months ago. I'm seeing other people with the SetApp inverters that appear to have monitoring. (for those not familiar the SetApp inverters have no display on the front)) Can anyone shed some light on this? I"ve opened a support ticket with Solar Edge, done just taking what my installer says, but have not been able to get any help from them either after three days of attempts.

Hi Alan1296,

Unfortunately, your installer is correct. SolarEdge does not offer Wifi radios for US models to join the Inverter to your existing, home wifi network. I know it's stupid, but unfortunately it is true. SE has offered Wifi in the EU and other regions for several years -- but not in the US market. There is talk that the new, LCD free HD inverters will, one day, finally get an optional Wifi card. But I've not heard of a release date yet.

In the mean time you can:
    1) Use Ethernet (free)
    2) Use an Ethernet to Wifi, Powerline, or MOCA bridge ($20-$100)
    3) Purchase (from your installer) a Cellular or Zigbee monitoring card ($400-600)

Of these option 1 is definitely the best choice if you can just drill a hole in your wall or leverage an existing hole / conduit.

I've been using option #2 myself for two years (after having already bought option 3 (cellular) with my system originally)

But, by all means call SE and complain. Hopefully if enough customers in the USA call, they will eventually get the message one of these years.

-Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
      Hi Alan1296,

Unfortunately, your installer is correct. SolarEdge does not offer Wifi radios for US models to join the Inverter to your existing, home wifi network. I know it's stupid, but unfortunately it is true. SE has offered Wifi in the EU and other regions for several years -- but not in the US market. There is talk that the new, LCD free HD inverters will, one day, finally get an optional Wifi card. But I've not heard of a release date yet.

In the mean time you can:
      1) Use Ethernet (free)
      2) Use an Ethernet to Wifi, Powerline, or MOCA bridge ($20-$100)
      3) Purchase (from your installer) a Cellular or Zigbee monitoring card ($400-600)

Of these option 1 is definitely the best choice if you can just drill a hole in your wall or leverage an existing hole / conduit.

I've been using option #2 myself for two years (after having already bought option 3 (cellular) with my system originally)

But, by all means call SE and complain. Hopefully if enough customers in the USA call, they will eventually get the message one of these years.

-Jonathan
      Thank you much. The last item is the item the installer was going to use, I'm not purchasing. They were having trouble finding one, but finally installed a 12 year cellular card on Tuesday. Still doesn't work! I'm getting monoriting from solar edge to my app in the mean time while the installer now waits on a new part that solar edge is sending. This new inverter has been a joke. I'll be starting a new thread with some output graphs for you guys to look at and tell me if this new inverter is even doing it's job. These will be graphs from my old 10kW inverter compared to this new model 11.4kW inverter.

Comment

Hi Alan1296,

Oops, I missed you're first post. How long did you have your original 10kW inverter? Was it an A-Series or an HD series? You've been having issues with the new inverter -- aside from monitoring issues?

I still would not recommend a new Cellular card. It should work (and needs to be a current GSM -- Tmobile -- model), but the data upload frequency and granularity is much better with Ethernet. Real time uploads, 15min increments, real time generation displayed in the app. An ethernet cable (get Cat6 or 6a) can be up to 100 meters (300+ feet) so even if you temporarily run it through a door or window it can aid in troubleshooting. It uses DHCP so in most cases you just have to plug it in.

While you are at it, I would recommend the new Solar Edge consumption monitoring add on. I find it really helpful to see (and log) power consumption data in addition to production.

Which panels and optimizers do you have?

-Jonathan
        Last edited by JSchnee21; 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Alan1296,

Oops, I missed you're first post. How long did you have your original 10kW inverter? Was it an A-Series or an HD series? You've been having issues with the new inverter -- aside from monitoring issues?

I still would not recommend a new Cellular card. It should work (and needs to be a current GSM -- Tmobile -- model), but the data upload frequency and granularity is much better with Ethernet. Real time uploads, 15min increments, real time generation displayed in the app. An ethernet cable (get Cat6 or 6a) can be up to 100 meters (300+ feet) so even if you temporarily run it through a door or window it can aid in troubleshooting. It uses DHCP so in most cases you just have to plug it in.

While you are at it, I would recommend the new Solar Edge consumption monitoring add on. I find it really helpful to see (and log) power consumption data in addition to production.

Which panels and optimizers do you have?

-Jonathan
          Hello. So the original inverter was an HD and I had it about three months. The system is a ground mount and fairly far from the home, which makes the ethernet an issue. My installer won't use it on a ground mount. Tell me about the add on, I'm not aware of what your talking about.

JA Solar 360 watt panels. SE P400-5NC4ARM optimizers.

Thanks!

Comment

Gotcha, and your inverter is located at the array? Versus running the HV DC to your house an mounting the inverter there? The consumption monitoring is a CT measurement system is installed in your main panel. A small box digitizes the signals which then communicates with the Inverter I believe through LV RG485 -- I'm not sure how far this signal could be propagated.

This is the device
            https://www.altestore.com/store/inve...caAtDqEALw_wcB

I assume your ground mount is facing South at an appropriate inclination for your latitude? With no trees? You could have just used a regular string inverter if you weren't going to use monitoring. Yes, I imaging you're probably clipping quite a bit with a ~13kW system on a 10kW inverter.

Depending on the length of your run from the array to the house, and the gauge of wire, you may be seeing a significant voltage drop (at the house) and/or inverter local AC voltage increase (and potential shutdown) if there's too much resistance to current flow from the inverter to the house. It's usually recommended to run the higher voltage DC for the home run instead.

A couple folks here use Ethernet to long range Wifi for their ground mounts.
            https://www.simplewifi.com/

But, I agree, Cellular may be your best long term, set it and forget it option. You won't get the fastest or most detailed updates, but once it's up and running you'll never have to touch it.

For troubleshooting, you could just lay an Ethernet wire on the ground (up to 300-350 feet). You could double that if you put a small L2 switch in the middle (but you'll need AC to power it). Or use a Cellular Hotspot with Ethernet like Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100.

You could also try Ethernet over PowerLine -- something like this. Not sure of the range.
            https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power...s%2C181&sr=8-5

What inverter performance related issues are you seeing? How are you currently measuring PV production? From your PoCo electric bill? My array is 12.2kW. I'm making about 11 to 12 MWh per year here in NJ. But, I have shading, inclination, and other issues. You should be up around ~15-20 MWh per year under optimal conditions. Of course production varies wildly from day to day, month to month, and depends on your local microenvironment, clouds, smog, etc.

You can lookup and compare similar systems in your area here
            https://pvoutput.org

Best,
            Jonathan

Comment

Gotcha, and your inverter is located at the array? Versus running the HV DC to your house an mounting the inverter there? The consumption monitoring is a CT measurement system is installed in your main panel. A small box digitizes the signals which then communicates with the Inverter I believe through LV RG485 -- I'm not sure how far this signal could be propagated.

This is the device
              https://www.altestore.com/store/inve...caAtDqEALw_wcB

I assume your ground mount is facing South at an appropriate inclination for your latitude? With no trees? You could have just used a regular string inverter if you weren't going to use monitoring. Yes, I imaging you're probably clipping quite a bit with a ~13kW system on a 10kW inverter.

Depending on the length of your run from the array to the house, and the gauge of wire, you may be seeing a significant voltage drop (at the house) and/or inverter local AC voltage increase (and potential shutdown) if there's too much resistance to current flow from the inverter to the house. It's usually recommended to run the higher voltage DC for the home run instead.

A couple folks here use Ethernet to long range Wifi for their ground mounts.
              https://www.simplewifi.com/

But, I agree, Cellular may be your best long term, set it and forget it option. You won't get the fastest or most detailed updates, but once it's up and running you'll never have to touch it.

For troubleshooting, you could just lay an Ethernet wire on the ground (up to 300-350 feet). You could double that if you put a small L2 switch in the middle (but you'll need AC to power it). Or use a Cellular Hotspot with Ethernet like Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100.

You could also try Ethernet over PowerLine -- something like this. Not sure of the range.
              https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power...s%2C181&sr=8-5

What inverter performance related issues are you seeing? How are you currently measuring PV production? From your PoCo electric bill? My array is 12.2kW. I'm making about 11 to 12 MWh per year here in NJ. But, I have shading, inclination, and other issues. You should be up around ~15-20 MWh per year under optimal conditions. Of course production varies wildly from day to day, month to month, and depends on your local microenvironment, clouds, smog, etc.

You can lookup and compare similar systems in your area here
              https://pvoutput.org

Best,
              Jonathan
              Yes inverter is out on the array not on the house. Yes all facing south. They took down several trees in neighbors yard to make it work. So it gets pretty direct sunlight from around 11am - 3pm. I did have a lot of clipping with the 10kW, which is why they switched it out for the 11400. Problem is the 11400 just isn't working right it seems based on the graphs I shared in a different thread. Currently measuring from solar edge app and the net meter on home. Thanks for the links I'll check them out.

Alan

Comment

Working...
              X