Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolf pack
    • Mar 2019

New Home Construction

I have twenty 280 watt panels, I have searched this forum and impressed with the combined knowledge, I have been unable to locate what I need to know on the install. Basically would like to do a 48 volt system with 4 12 volt battery's for a off grid system to Run my house That is being built. There will be no air conditioning, Mostly propane for the water heater and stove. I read up on the inverters and how to hook up the panels, in series or in parallel is my issue now. If someone could point me in the right direction, Many thanks in advance,
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

That is all going to depend on your charge controller.
    I would recommend a matched set of charge controller to inverter all from the same manufacturer so that you can use the same monitoring.
    You are going to have some series though for a series/parallel system but how it is done will depend on how high of voltage the CC allows.
    Is your physical all south facing or East/west? or SE/SW?
    shadows?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• wolf pack
      • Mar 2019

Thanks Butchdeal,
      Looks like the panels are made by Sova Solar, model # SS280P-72, No charge controller or inverter made by them from what I can see, Facing south with 4-5 hours of partly shaded sun. I need to know what size controller to use and should I wire in panels in series or parallel ? I am new to solar and the voltages and amps confuse me. The panel info tag states, max power 280, open circuit voltage 44.4, voltage at pmax 36.7 and current at pmax 7.78. Looks like I need to change the battery bank to eight 6 volt battery's from my research

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

4 - 5 hours partially shaded sun !!

How much UNSHADED do you have ? PV panels don't work in shade. There are way$ to prevent shade from throttling back illuminated panels, but shade does not produce power.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by wolf pack
          Thanks Butchdeal,
          Looks like the panels are made by Sova Solar, model # SS280P-72, No charge controller or inverter made by them from what I can see,
          I meant to get charge controller and inverter from the same company. not the same as the PV module company.

Like OutBack power for example. If you get inverter and charge controller from Outback then you can monitor both with the Mate3, you can even add in a battery monitor as well.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• NewBostonConst
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
            4 - 5 hours partially shaded sun !!

How much UNSHADED do you have ? PV panels don't work in shade. There are way$ to prevent shade from throttling back illuminated panels, but shade does not produce power.
            Mine 7k ground mount array was making 500 watts in the shade of the house in Michigan last night at 5pm.....Mike you need to upgrade.....

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by NewBostonConst

Mine 7k ground mount array was making 500 watts in the shade of the house in Michigan last night at 5pm.....Mike you need to upgrade.....
              You are welcome to install all you want, I've got acres to put them on.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NewBostonConst
                Mine 7k ground mount array was making 500 watts in the shade
                of the house in Michigan last night at 5pm.....Mike you need to upgrade.....
                What is your recommended upgrade? My primary solution to shade is a chain saw. Bruce Roe

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by bcroe

What is your recommended upgrade? My primary solution to shade is a chain saw. Bruce Roe
                  I think that might be the more economical solution
                  Those who do, do it!

Comment

• AlexDerden
                    • Mar 2021

Wow. You have so many solar panels! I am currently staying in an apartment and I cannot wait for the day that I will be able to move into a house. To me, that's the dream. I am working every day and I am saving money every month in order to be able to buy one. I will speak with someone from midmodphoenix in order to help me with the design when this will come true. Besides the house, I would love to have some solar panels in order to make use out of this kind of electricity. Maybe I will even buy an electric car one day haha

MOD NOTE: Please do not include any real estate or solar equipment links in your post without first getting approval.
                    Last edited by SunEagle; 04-05-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• MrRuppert
                      • Jan 2022

In general, when buying a land plot through an agency, many clients have encountered such problems: The agency does not always have reliable information about engineering communications connected to your site. It is better to clarify this separately in the management companies. To adapt the foundation of a typical project to your site, it is better to perform geological surveys in advance. This will give detailed information about the depth of groundwater, the composition of the soil and help at the construction stage of the house. I decided to avoid all possible problems and entrusted the construction to the guys from the company boutique home plans who coped perfectly.

MOD NOTE: Please do not include links to other web sites in your post. Also you will be banned if you try to change or add a link to your posts again
                      Last edited by SunEagle; 02-22-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...