X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcinmylo
    • Jan 2019

Combing Series of different Panels

Hi All,

A couple questions on solar panels. I am looking to upgrade my PV array but I have questions on solar panels. I have 4x 100W Renogy Solar Panels. With a new MPPT controller I am able to run higher voltages from a better spot on my property.

I am looking to run:
    - 1 Series of 4x Renogy 100W panels (400W series)
    - 2 Series of 2x Canadian Solar 330W panels (have not bought yet) (660W per series)

Using Magnum PV calculator with the panel specs.
    It showed that the renogy series would be outputting:
    - VMP 75.6V at 25C, 89.2 at -35C
    - PV current of 5.3

The Canadian Solar Series
    - VMP 74.4V at 25C, 88.2 at -35C
    - PV current of 17.8

Is there anything I should be aware of, or that I am missing when using mismatched series and combining them - mainly on the voltage mismatch? Looking to run the array into either a Midnite Solar 150 or Magnum PT 100.

Thanks,

• inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

The general rule of thumb is that you can parallel strings of panels whose voltages differ by no more than 5% into a single MPPT input with no significant loss of total power.
    Similarly you can put panels whose current differs by no more than 5% in series without excessive loss.

Is the nominal voltage of the Canadian Solar panels really twice that of the Renogy panels?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• mcinmylo
      • Jan 2019

Okay good to know, I tried to match panels that would work with my current panels the best i.e: closest voltage. The Canadian Solar Panels are double. So having 4 100w 12v Renogy's and 2 Canadian Solar Panels matched up closely for voltages.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

If you wire the 2 x 330w Canadian panels in series you will get 8.9 amps not 17.8 amps. They have a Vmp = 37.2v and an Imp = 8.87a.

Comment

• mcinmylo
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle
          If you wire the 2 x 330w Canadian panels in series you will get 8.9 amps not 17.8 amps. They have a Vmp = 37.2v and an Imp = 8.87a.
          You are correct! My calculator showed me the output of two series of two, one series would give 8.87A

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mcinmylo

You are correct! My calculator showed me the output of two series of two, one series would give 8.87A
            You should be able to wire the 3 sets of panels (4 x 100w in series), (2 x 330w in series) & (2 x 330w in series) in parallel to an MPPT CC with fusing for each of the 3 "strings".

But with 1720 watts of panels you will have to go with a 24V or 48V battery system since a 12V battery is limited to about 1000 watts.

Comment

• mcinmylo
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle

You should be able to wire the 3 sets of panels (4 x 100w in series), (2 x 330w in series) & (2 x 330w in series) in parallel to an MPPT CC with fusing for each of the 3 "strings".

But with 1720 watts of panels you will have to go with a 24V or 48V battery system since a 12V battery is limited to about 1000 watts.
              That is what the plan was.

I am a little stuck with 12v at the moment. Using a Midnite Solar or Magnum MPPT PT Controller I calculated my output would be around 95 amps (using that same magnum calculator and inputting the specs of all three series of panels). I currently have an 1100AH battery bank at 12V. I know it is better to be higher voltage - any big bad reason this setup would not work at 12v?

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

It may work, but not well. That's a high Ah battery bank. Care to describe how it's wired and what batteries you have?
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by mcinmylo
                  .... I currently have an 1100AH battery bank at 12V. .....
                  It's far more expensive to run all that fat cable to handle 500A @ 12V. than 120A @ 48V.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• mcinmylo
                    • Jan 2019

We have 6x US L16 6v. 385Ah each. With the high voltage going to the controller and then only a short distance to run from controller to batteries, should not be too bad for wiring. Not ideal of course.

Comment

Working...