My 1st Small Solar Project for some Basic Essentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st Small Solar Project for some Basic Essentials

I've been Intrigued by Solar Energy for Decades, but due to my low income - HMMMmmm what can I do.

I had recently switched my Phone and Internet Provider, and didn't realize that in a Power Outage, their Equipment has NO Battery Back Up - which I found out last Winter .... I figure it's a Good Starting Point to get those UP and Running.

Well, since I know Little to Nothing - I've tried to do Some Research, and Educate Myself. I would perhaps condider myself a SLOW LEARNER..

I bought a Modified Inverter 12V/110V -(Mextel 5000W) - which has 4 /35A fuses ( from China)

1 x Poly Panel with Charger - (NOMA Brand)
    50W / 2.8A

I've just put my Ride On Mower Away for the Winter and took the Battery out of that - which is what I hope to use.
    GBU 1
    Group U1
    CA 290
    RC/AH 30

I connected this little system up BRIEFLY (about 10 Minutes)-
    Plugged in my Internet and Phone Modem and Router / Phone/ Android Box /32" LCD TV / Clock Radio/ 18W Fluorescent Light.

ALL Seems to all work... So i'm Somewhat Satisfied that in a Power Outage, I'll perhaps have some of this stuff to work
    The internet and Android Box don't seem to stream perfectly - AS EXPECTED!

I tried to make the Best Choices... like buying an Inverter to Accommodate Additional Power if needed or when available for...( IE: Desktop/ Small 1500W Heater/ Electric Blanket)

However, I do have some Concerns:

1.Can I use this small battery IN my Apt - and without a GROUND? What about the Gases from the Battery and Should I be Concerned about an Electrical Fire?

I have all this stuff plugged into a Power Bar ... I don't have this System FIXED at any Location... with the Battery and Inverter, on a Small Coffee Table in my Fairly Spacious ATTIC Apt... with the Living Room/ Kitchen/Dining Room all OPEN in One Room. (Approx. 20' x 20')

I figure it's best for the Battery- and I don't really get a lot of Sun with my Apt on the Back side of the Building -and a SMALL DECK

I only plan to use this in the Event of a Power Outage... which sometimes can be for 2-3 days - Though, I'm Sure, the Battery will NOT be Putting out the Energy to run everything for days.

Thanking You ALL in Advance, for Your Comments!
    Last edited by dmmackay; 11-08-2018, 09:43 AM.

hi, hope some expert answer cuz it will help me too since I am a bigenner , actually I may give an openion but many breifing I couldn't understand

Comment

In an apartment - for battery backup you will be much safer and spend less if you pick up a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) which are designed to give you short term AC power during a power outage. APC is one brand that has wide spread usage in the IT industry and they have lower cost home user models. We are talking about short term power here - hours at most. But honestly - they are of limited value to most folks. As far as solar battery backup in an apartment no less - well - I'll let the more vocal ones here try and convince you how bad of an idea this will be...

Comment

Hi dmmackay, welcome to the forum.

This is probably not a good application for solar. Important questions:
        1) How long do you need the system to power your equipment (length of typical outage)
        2) what is the power consumption of what you want to run
        3) can it run directly from 12V DC, or does it need AC power?

Forget the electric heater and electric blanket, you can't run those for any length of time from solar in an apartment.
        Last edited by sdold; 11-09-2018, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your replies,

I am using this system as OFF GRID, so if the Power goes out - I simply unplug my Power Bar which this stuff is currently plugged into - and Plug the Power Bar into the Inverter.

For some of the Basic Stuff I mentioned
          32" LCD TV 42W
          Android Box 5V
          Phone 300ma
          Internet Modem 0.5A Max
          Wireless Router 2.0 A
          Fluorescent Light 18W

As I has mentioned, I had this all hooked up briefly to my system, to see if it works, and it does.
          My Concern is if the Battery in the apt is O.K. to safely use and if there are any Safety Precautions that should be used such as Grounding this...

Power might go out for a couple of days....but I don't intend to use my Android Box and TV if it does go out for that long. Though the Inverter will support this Power Consumption, I hardly think a Small Ride On Battery will supply that amount of power.
          Having a Phone, Light, Clock and Radio, during a Power Outage, would certainly be a Great Asset!
          Why I could not use a Heater or Electric Blanket in an apt ( if the battery would supply the power needed) I don't understand?

Isn't the UPS just a Battery Back Up, with some outlets and Surge Protector to use if the power goes out? I'm not sure how that is different from what I'm doing?
          The Power Bar has a Surge Protector -
          the Inverter has
          Continuous Output: 5000 W Peak power: 10000 W
          - Overload, over temperature, short circuit, low voltage, overvoltage protection.

I do understand that with a UPS everything such as the Wiring and Connections are ENCLOSED in a Cover, and in that respect is safer.
          Last edited by dmmackay; 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmmackay View Post
            Isn't the UPS just a Battery Back Up, with some outlets and Surge Protector to use if the power goes out? I'm not sure how that is different from what I'm doing?
            Yeah, pretty much, I assumed you eventually wanted to power it with solar based on the subject line and the description of the solar panel you bought.
            Last edited by sdold; 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmmackay View Post

Why I could not use a Heater or Electric Blanket in an apt ( if the battery would supply the power needed) I don't understand?
              Because the battery you listed can't supply that much power for long. Not even close. You are better off buying sweaters and a thicker regular blanket.

Comment

Working...
              X