Oscilloscopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscilloscopes

What type of oscilloscope is needed to check the sign wave purity of a pure sign wave inverter? I recently purchased a pure sign wave inverter to run my new 120v refrigerator on. The fridge lasted less than 3 weeks. I knew a modified sign wave could destroy it, so I bought the PSW inverter (I researched this thoroughly online ahead of time). Now I'm wondering if my PSW isn't so pure after all, and would like a way to check it.

For 60 Hz or really anything below 10 Mhz you have no need for a scope just a cellphone, tablet, laptop, or PC. For that low of a frequency you can assemble $5 worth of parts and use the sound card of any laptop or PC. Or if you lack any technical knowledge download a free software based app. Or you can spend several hundred dollars on an oscope.
    Last edited by Sunking; 09-23-2018, 11:25 AM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

I hear you. I recently bought a 5000w PSW inverter from Nimtek (Chinese) from Amazon for about $800. I noticed all motors ran with noise like you would expect from a modified sine wave inverter, and they ran hotter. Even my computer made more noise than the cheap Harbor Freight MSW inverter I was using before I got it. Then I needed more outlets to plug in a reading light in my bedroom that only has one outlet. When I plugged in a surge controller with six sockets. the Site Wiring Fault light went on. I checked outlets all over the cabin, and they all registered the same SWF warning. I was powering the cabin with the Nimtek inverter at the time. I changed to the generator, and the SWF did not light up. I plugged the surge protector directly into the inverter and the SWF light was on. The ground is good or the SWF light would have shown when I ran the generator (which is mobile and ungrounded on rubber wheels) It's the inverter.
      I sent a message to the manufacturer through Amazon. They are expected to respond within two days.
      I am interested in an oscillator too. I watched a YouTube vid where a guy checked the sine wave of an inverter. It showed a sine wave with very jagged edges. The guy in the video said that was not good.

Comment

Working...
      X