What inverter do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What inverter do I need?

I have 3 panels (2 100watt & 1 150 watts) total of 350 watts, my current inverter is a 800 watt continuous. Do I upgrade my inverter and to what is I want to run say a fan or charge my laolap?

Originally posted by Tomebamboo View Post
    I have 3 panels (2 100watt & 1 150 watts) total of 350 watts, my current inverter is a 800 watt continuous. Do I upgrade my inverter and to what is I want to run say a fan or charge my laolap?
    If you want to run a fan or charge a laptop you don't need an inverter. DC 12V devices are available to do both.

To design ANY system first determine your loads; size your battery appropriately. Then choose solar that will 1) generate the energy you need to power your loads and 2) keep your batteries happy (i.e between about C/8 and C/12.) If you are starting with some panels you are doing it backwards.

Comment

I appreciate your quick response, the system I have I purchased used just to have an electrical to start with living off grid. This consist of two 6 volt batteries, the 350 watts (3 panels) , charge controller and inverter. By load would that be the total watts as posted on the appliance? Such as Laptop. Input 1.5 amps output 3.16 amps

Comment

No watt hours use din a day. You will quickly learn going off grid is really stupid. By doing so you just volunteered to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity and become a very heavy polluter.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Most Laptops run from 19v DC, If you run a 24v battery bank and use a 19v stepdown converter, you will have a much better time with your solar toys.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
            Most Laptops run from 19v DC, If you run a 24v battery bank and use a 19v stepdown converter, you will have a much better time with your solar toys.
            Well while that is factually accurate, not many options available to make that happen. Power Bricks for Laptops come primarily in two Flavors:

120 VAC
            12 volt DC with a Cigarette Lighter plug or Alligator Clips

Not many 24 down converters or step down transformer flavor options available.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Well while that is factually accurate, not many options available to make that happen. Power Bricks for Laptops come primarily in two Flavors:

120 VAC
              12 volt DC with a Cigarette Lighter plug or Alligator Clips

Not many 24 down converters or step down transformer flavor options available.
              You use to be able to get something like that at Radio Shack.

Comment

I have used this one on several set up's. It is made in China and comes in several voltage and amp options. It can also be used with big screen 19v TV's. there are other adjustable designs but I prefer this one as it is sealed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X