Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Device to control current going into individual electronics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

    I own a Xantrex 600W PSW inverter and have never had an issue with it. I believe Samlex and Go Power are also good products although not cheap.

    One thing that scared me on the youtube video is that with a 3000Watt inverter connected to a 12volt battery can draw close to 250 amps so the wiring between the inverter and battery needs to be real big and have the proper fusing.
    U-tube: The new idiot's bible. Often dangerous, unvetted B.S.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      One thing that scared me on the youtube video is that with a 3000Watt inverter connected to a 12volt battery .
      That tells you instantly the Operator is a idiot with no knowledge of what he is doing. He is as clueless as the folks watching his dumb ass, and both deserve what is going to happen to them. Two less idiots in the world to deal with.
      MSEE, PE

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Batteries, look into getting golf cart batteries locally. Two 6V batteries in series will give you 12V @ 200ah Nearly everywhere has a golf course with carts
        I called Batteries Plus Bulbs and they have the same prices that show on their website. About $240 for a 12v 100Ah, sealed. 6v 230Ah for $140 but that isn't sealed.
        I still have to check the possibility of shipping to the US and bringing it here separately, have someone over there ship it here.

        Also, I'm checking out Alibaba. They have a nice variety, and prices. Quality, I don't know.
        There might be some custom fees involved if using this method. I don't know for now.
        Anyone know about Alibaba and batteries for solar?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Soleadus View Post
          Also, I'm checking out Alibaba. They have a nice variety, and prices. Quality, I don't know.
          There is no Quality products on Alibaba. Alibaba is Chi-Com Flea Bay.Yep real cheap and a lot of it just like there are a lot of Chi-Coms around 1.4 billion people or 1/5th the world population.
          Last edited by Sunking; 08-11-2018, 01:56 PM.
          MSEE, PE

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

            What makes you think such a thing, particularly acquiring such stuff in a used condition from an unknown source ? What do you mean by cleaner ?
            Because the power company has ruined a lot of my equipment over the years with never ending blackouts and brownouts. I won't have that problem with an inverter.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by SunEagle View Post



              I own a Xantrex 600W PSW inverter and have never had an issue with it. I believe Samlex and Go Power are also good products although not cheap.

              One thing that scared me on the youtube video is that with a 3000Watt inverter connected to a 12volt battery can draw close to 250 amps so the wiring between the inverter and battery needs to be real big and have the proper fusing.

              Oh and while I may get power dips and spikes from my POCO it is much cleaner then you think because I have tested it with a Fluke 435 power meter and there are no harmonics or voltage transients unless we get lightning somewhere close.
              [/QUOTE]

              Read that guy's earlier posts. He wants to run a laptop and small stuff. I don't think he plans to run a 3 ton A/C unit, a fridge, water heater and electric stove on it.

              A lot of people have cars that have engines that can put out 1,000+ HP. Just because it can, doesn't mean you're going to be driving around town in 1st and 2nd gear at 6,000 RPM all day.

              You only have to worry about 250 amps if you're dumb enough to think you can sit there and power your entire house on it on a couple 12V batteries. There's no reason to jump to conclusions all the time. The inverter may "want" 250 amps at one time, but it just won't get it and the unit will simply fault out.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by SunEagle View Post



                I own a Xantrex 600W PSW inverter and have never had an issue with it. I believe Samlex and Go Power are also good products although not cheap.
                Xantrex and Go Power ROCK!!! That is for like non-hobby stuff... the serious people doing long-term, permanent installations. Not your typical solar powered shed installations.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by RenewablesRock View Post

                  Because the power company has ruined a lot of my equipment over the years with never ending blackouts and brownouts. I won't have that problem with an inverter.
                  Until the inverter fails.

                  Guess I'm just lucky in that I'm pretty sure I've never had equipment damaged by a POCO's product.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by RenewablesRock View Post
                    ............A lot of people have cars that have engines that can put out 1,000+ HP. Just because it can, doesn't mean you're going to be driving around town in 1st and 2nd gear at 6,000 RPM all day.
                    You only have to worry about 250 amps if you're dumb enough to think you can sit there and power your entire house on it on a couple 12V batteries. There's no reason to jump to conclusions all the time. The inverter may "want" 250 amps at one time, but it just won't get it and the unit will simply fault out.
                    In a car, you get feedback, your temp gauge rises, your oil light comes on, engine makes a funny sound

                    With an inverter, suddenly the lights go off, to be replaced by they glow of the burning inverter, if it shares the same room.

                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

                    solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by RenewablesRock View Post
                      Read that guy's earlier posts. He wants to run a laptop and small stuff. I don't think he plans to run a 3 ton A/C unit, a fridge, water heater and electric stove on it.

                      A lot of people have cars that have engines that can put out 1,000+ HP. Just because it can, doesn't mean you're going to be driving around town in 1st and 2nd gear at 6,000 RPM all day.

                      You only have to worry about 250 amps if you're dumb enough to think you can sit there and power your entire house on it on a couple 12V batteries. There's no reason to jump to conclusions all the time. The inverter may "want" 250 amps at one time, but it just won't get it and the unit will simply fault out.[/QUOTE]

                      Sorry. Based on my 40 years of electrical design engineering I follow the code which says if it can be produced then you have to protect for it. So if it can draw 250amps then the wire and fuse MUST be sized correctly.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by RenewablesRock View Post

                        Xantrex and Go Power ROCK!!! That is for like non-hobby stuff... the serious people doing long-term, permanent installations. Not your typical solar powered shed installations.
                        Sometimes buying quality equipment even for your shed makes sense. You never know when you will need it.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by RenewablesRock View Post
                          Read that guy's earlier posts. He wants to run a laptop and small stuff. I don't think he plans to run a 3 ton A/C unit, a fridge, water heater and electric stove on it.

                          A lot of people have cars that have engines that can put out 1,000+ HP. Just because it can, doesn't mean you're going to be driving around town in 1st and 2nd gear at 6,000 RPM all day.

                          You only have to worry about 250 amps if you're dumb enough to think you can sit there and power your entire house on it on a couple 12V batteries. There's no reason to jump to conclusions all the time. The inverter may "want" 250 amps at one time, but it just won't get it and the unit will simply fault out.[/QUOTE]

                          That is responsible and quite dangerous which can get you banned real quick around here. Don't bother arguing or debating what you are suggesting does not meet minimum code requirements and just flat out dangerous to the public. It is a defenseless argument you cannot win. 12 volt mobile Inverters like any mobile portable Inverter is a piss poor choice and advice to use in a home with home wiring. You are asking for toys to work as full time tools which they are not made to do or work with house wiring systems. If you do not understand why, then you have absolutely no business offering any advice or answering any questions.

                          MSEE, PE

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

                            Sometimes buying quality equipment even for your shed makes sense. You never know when you will need it.
                            Like this guy?
                            https://youtu.be/xnSew-tCuPo?t=110

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X