Correct configuration for MPPT converter - Marine Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct configuration for MPPT converter - Marine Application

I have 9 50WX12V solar panels on the hardtop of my boat, wired in parallel to a MPPT charge controller. I am not seeing anywhere near the amperage I should be and think that perhaps I should wire these as three strings in parallel each composing 3 panels in series? I think the voltage in not allowing the MPPT controller to work efficiently.

MPPT is a 30amp charge controller. Even when batteries are at 20% and full sun controller only putting out 6-8 amps.

I would appreciate advise here.

Just as a test of the panels, you might wire them to a short, and see if you get something like 20A. If they
    appear good, you may need more voltage for your MPPT charge controller. 12V panels typically support
    a PWM controller. You could parallel 3 strings of 3 series panels each if your MPPT will take the voltage.
    Otherwise perhaps 4 parallel strings of 2 series panels. Bruce Roe

Comment

By wiring your panels in parallel just eliminated one the best MPPT controllers abilities. Sort of like buy a corvette with a governor limiting your speed to 50 mph. However I doubt having the panels in parallel is the problem. Sound more like wiring error.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X