X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nothungry3
    • Aug 2015

emergency system design

Hi

I need some advice, as I am in a little over my head.

When the Sunpower E20 panels came out, I finally took the plunge. I bought an extra 327 Watt, 65 Voc panel to play with, which I put on my shed roof. Now I want to build a system to keep my basement from flooding.

My basement is connected to the groundwater system on Cherry Hill. Every day 50 gallons or so of water collects in my drain tile which needs to be pumped out (there
    Last edited by nothungry3; 03-29-2018, 07:44 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

First is to get a measurement of how much power you pump uses on a rainy day. That sets the size of the battery you need.

There are some integrated battery backup sump pumps, that might have the design a bit more robust to handle the install being in a always humid environment.

Cheap way is a pair of marine bilge pumps. I say a pair, because one is going to fail, and you want the other to be working while you get a replacement. Most marine pumps are cheap and use brushed 12V motors
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• nothungry3
      • Aug 2015

I guess I'm really in over my head. I can't paste in my entire post after two tries. Is there a trick to pasting? It's cut from a LibreOfficeWriter document.

Comment

• Kendalf
        • Feb 2018

Some single quotation marks or apostrophes cause the board software to cut any following text. I'm assuming you wrote "there's" in your original post and everything up to and following the apostrophe is getting cut.

Perhaps try pasting into Notepad or another pure text editor, then copy and paste from the text editor into a post.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Based on your panel you would need a 30 amp MPPT Controller and a 12 volt 250 AH battery like a pair of 6-volt 250 AH golf cart batteries. Like Mike said use marine 12 volt bilge pumps.

Just one little minor catch. Nor you or anyone else can tell you if it will work or not because you do not know the worse case power usage in a day. A 12 volt 250 AH battery has roughly 2 Kwh of power until exhausted. If you use it every day only enough to use 500 to 700 watt hours per day. If you hit it with 2 Kwh every day, the battery will be destroyed in a year or less, and with one cloudy rainy day you flood. If you use say 3 Kwh day you will flood the first day in operation. No big deal I could care less if you flood.

No one is going to tell you if it will work or not. That is your job to figure out. Determine worse case power you need in a day, then design the system to work. Anything less is a plan to fail. Give us your numbers, location, and shade issues and we can help. It is ON YOU.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...