Array installed, Need help on wiring/disconnects etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheAppleTreeGuy
    • Dec 2017

Array installed, Need help on wiring/disconnects etc.

Awesome forum! I've learned a lot from reading the last few months but have never posted till now.

Here is my system;

-28 GCL-P6-280 (7840 watts) panels already installed on custom pipe rack (2 7/8" oil drilling pipe from the Dakotas if anyone is interested)
    -150~ft 1 1/4 conduit already buried for wire to be fished back to panels from inverter.
    -SMA Sunny boy 7.7 already hung on the wall inside my utility room (6 inch wall).
    -Conduit run from inverter to panel already.
    -Permits all approved and grid tie meter already installed.
    -Large 200 amp disconnect already installed near meter (Yup, had to put my OWN main lockable disconnect 3 feet away from the power companies lockable disconnect)
    -Already purchased a huge pack of all of the possible warning labels from Amazon

I talked to a few people about what type/brand/model of combiners and disconnects to buy but it seams there is no standard and everyone was pushing the product they were selling and not what really is needed.
    Prices ranged from $80 to $800 per disconnect, that's crazy!

I plan to run the panels as 3 strings, 2 strings of 9 and 1 string of 10.
    This SMA inverter can handle 3 inputs, so I figure why not keep them separate if that's ok.
    I already checked and sized the wire to be #8, and got another roll of #10 for ground wire.
    I believe I do not need rapid shut down on this system due to it not being on a roof and due to the inverter being close to the outside wall.
    Here are my questions if anyone could help!

1) Would you wire it this way I described, and if not why or why not? Any advice is good advice!

2) What and how many exact boxes/disconnect/combiner would you suggest to use on this project, any brand name favorites?

3) Can these disconnect boxes, etc, have to be under the panel array or do they have to be a certain distance away from them.

4) Who's going to drink cold beer with me during the next power outage when I'm the only one in the county with power?

My brother in law is a master electrician that has had some great input to this project, but has never wired from the panels to the inverter before. The information that comes with the
    inverter has been helpful enough for him to tackle the inverter wiring already with no major issue. I guess we just need help on what to do under the panels.

Any help is much appreciated in advance!

Dustin from MinneSNOWta
    -The Apple Tree Guy

Attached Files
    Last edited by TheAppleTreeGuy; 03-26-2018, 04:47 PM.
Working...