oh no another confused newbie, solar data sheets what to use to spec the system

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • h2ocean
    • Mar 2018

Ok the light bulb came back on this morning, thanks for everyone's input here it has been a great help. this morning i had a 60Hp motor loose a phase, while calculating for the diagnosis i realized by habit i kept using the square root of 3, 60 horse motor 70A X 280V xsqr3(1.73) 34KW. so i get the 48 volt higher voltage takes less amps for same watts. inverter question now is since i work with step down transformers i am backward again in thinking, with the light bulb on if i have a 1000watt draw on the 120v AC side (a 12 amp draw) i will have a 20 amp draw on the DC battery bank? is this thinking correct since it is a inverter and not a transformer. Thanks again all

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by h2ocean
      Ok the light bulb came back on this morning, thanks for everyone's input here it has been a great help. this morning i had a 60Hp motor loose a phase, while calculating for the diagnosis i realized by habit i kept using the square root of 3, 60 horse motor 70A X 280V xsqr3(1.73) 34KW. so i get the 48 volt higher voltage takes less amps for same watts. inverter question now is since i work with step down transformers i am backward again in thinking, with the light bulb on if i have a 1000watt draw on the 120v AC side (a 12 amp draw) i will have a 20 amp draw on the DC battery bank? is this thinking correct since it is a inverter and not a transformer. Thanks again all
      You are correct. A 1000 watt load at 48V will draw 20amps.

That is the main reason we try to discourage people from using high wattage inverters on a 12volt battery system. A 2500 watt 12V inverter can draw over 200 amps and burn up the wire if not properly sized and protected by a fuse.

Comment

Working...