New battery install G110-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery install G110-12

So I bought 8 g110-12 golf cart batteries and hooked them together in series for a 48 volt Bank. So far I have top them up 2 at a time with a 12-volt battery charger. Now I have them hooked to 2 235W Trina solar panels in parallel through an mppt charge controller. I bought the batteries on sale from a local Carquest and the manufacture dates range from July of 17 to March of 18.
    I won't mount all of the 12 panels for a couple months. I am told that two panels is not enough to keep the batteries charged so I will add one more. I'm trying to contact the manufacturer to find out the best charge configuration and maybe some specific gravity readings.
    I guess my main question is should I put an equalize charge on these batteries now or wait until all the panels are hooked up? I just want to baby the batteries for a couple months

I would EQ them if you can
    285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Are you using the 2 235's in parallel charging your batteries in a 12 volt configuration? If they are sitting in a 48 volt bank you definitely need three panels, IN SERIES, to maintain them
      Last edited by littleharbor; 03-12-2018, 08:01 PM.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

2 235 W Trina in series on a 48 volt configuration I will install one more when I can

Comment

The generic mppt Chinese charge controller that is hooked to them right now does not have an equalizes feature. I would like to hook up my TriStar mppt 60. Today I bought a 60 amp Automotive bolt on fuse I think if I hook this between the panels and the TriStar controller, I should be okay to equalize the batteries with it I think but hopefully hooking the batteries with no fuse will be okay if there is no load? Maybe I should also hook an earth ground to the unit before I turn it on? It's $600 controller so I'm a little nervous too hook it up yet( to the larger array and Battery Bank). Right now I have it hooked to 45 watt panel and 12 volt battery just to establish Communications

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
            Are you using the 2 235's in parallel charging your batteries in a 12 volt configuration? If they are sitting in a 48 volt bank you definitely need three panels, IN SERIES, to maintain them
            If my TriStar mppt is not converting the voltage to something high enough for the battery Bank, can I add a voltage booster to the mix so I can charge off one or two panels to a 48 volt Bank?

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
              If my TriStar mppt is not converting the voltage to something high enough for the battery Bank, can I add a voltage booster to the mix so I can charge off one or two panels to a 48 volt Bank?

Comment

Originally posted by James1079 View Post

The tristar needs to be fed a voltage about 5 or 10v higher than battery charge voltage, it CANNOT boost voltage. For a 48V bank. you need to provide 65-70Vmp when hot
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

James 2 panels is more than enough to maintain the batteries if they configured for 12 or 24 volts. Your panel voltage is too low for 48 volts and is not going to work. . The battery is a generic version made by East Penn and is a 155 AH 12 volt battery. Nothing special about the battery. They just slap a CarQuest sticker on them.

So you have two choices to make.

1. Either configure the batteries temporary for either 12 or 24 volts.
                  2. Smart money is to buy a 48 volt battery charger (Golf Cart) as you are going to need one anyway when you go live so you can charge on cloudy days with your genny, and to do monthly PM EQ charge.

Either way wire the two panels in series. But you must configure the batteries to either 12 or 24 volts if you do not buy a AC 48 volt battery charger.

Take your pick it is that simple.

With a 1-year warranty you will be replacing them sooner than you think.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 03-19-2018, 03:03 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                  X