Too Small SunnyBoy Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Small SunnyBoy Inverter

I had a 9.9kWh hour system installed recently. Just had the power company install the net meter and I'm up and going. I have two strings installed. One string has 21 panels hooked up to a Sunny Boy 5.0 inverter and 12 panels hooked up to a Sunny Boy 3.8 inverter. Each panel has a 300 watt output. I was trying to do the math on how this would go up to a 9.9 system. If I just do the panels on their own, it adds up to 9.9kWh. However, it seems to me that the 5.0 inverter has a max of 5000 watts. With the 21 panels, shouldn't it be 6300 watts going into that invert? Am I misunderstanding something or did the company install a too small inverter?

The company said that due to the orientation of the panels (due south), length, distance blah, blah that it will never hit full capacity.

Since turning the system on, that inverter has repeatedly hit the 5000 watt mark. The highest ever was 5.040 kW. Looking at the graph shows that it plateaus at that 5000 watt mark.

Please help.

Apparently they were wrong. If you only hit 5KW a few minutes a day, the energy loss is tiny. If its
    running into hours, it means both the time and magnitude of loss are much greater. It might be better
    if a panel or 2 were moved from the 5.0 inverter to the 3.8 inverter, except this gives some panel
    numbers that are hard to configure. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
    X