Help with inverter and controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with inverter and controller

I am new on this and I installed 4 panels 240W, 30.4V Vmpp, and 7.9A Impp. Can somebody recommed me a charge controller and inverter. In will add 8 more panels in a couple of months. I also have 2 batteries 12v, 250 amps. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

You have some challenges with batteries and selecting operating voltages.

With 960 watts of panels and the largest controller you can buy is roughly 80 amps, and that comes with limitations depending on battery voltage.

12 volts @ 1000 watts.
    24 volts at 2000 watts.
    48 volts @ 4000 watts.

If you make a huge mistake and go with 12 volts you are done and cannot grow.
    Next mistake would be 24 volts, but you could only grow to 2000 watts with 4 more panels, 8 more is out of the question.
    At 48 volts you can grow to 4000 watts but you do not have the battery capacity now and batteries would have to be replaced.

Right now your best and only real option is 24 volts with a 80 amp Midnite Solar Classic 150. You really shot yourself in the foot with the batteries. You got stuck in a 12 volt box. Your only option is to wire the batteries in series for 24 volts @ 250 AH. Maximum power you want to hit those batteries with is 1000 watts. Any more and you would cook them. You will need to replace them when and if you grow to 2000 watts maximum. You do not mix old and new batteries.

To go with 12 total panels requires 48 volts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank for the information I will take it in consideration.

Comment

Working...
      X