Do I need another disconnect/breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need another disconnect/breaker

Do I need another disconnect/breaker between the Inverter and PV Meter?

The Utility (APS) required me to install the #4 between the Array ground (call an Auxiliary ground) and the House System ground back at the service panel.
    Originally I was trying to use the #4 UFER in concrete at the array structure since it is right next to the inverter pole. Then I tried to get them to agree to a #10 or #8 bare wire going back to the system GEC - my reasoning was a) the system only required a #10 or b) because I up-sized the conductors to #8 and c) some idea that larger wire lets more lightning surge go back to the house instead of the easier path thru the UFER 9sounded good to me). The electrician didn't think it needed to be a #4 either but due to time constraints we put it in that way.

I thought the disco on the inverter would also shut off both the AC and DC but I don't find any reference to that in the manual so i have to assume it is just a DC disconnect and by virtue of that the inverter shuts off production BUT the AC wires would still be back-fed AC unless either the main panel breakers or the Utility Disco is flipped off.
    I also thought the Rapid Shutdown feature and various built-in fault protections indicated that there was a GFCI inside somewhere.
    Since I cannot find a specific GFCI unit, I now assume that it is a built-in electrical feature and not a user activated switch (ie: a reset/off button)

This got me wondering if I need another form of AC disconnect or breaker located at the Inverter on the AC output..
    I'm attaching my 3-line drawing so you can see how this system is laid out.
    What are your opinions on this and is there going to be any grounding issues as shown?

Thanks
    SD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Syberdog; 11-23-2017, 04:49 PM.

The inverter disconnect cuts the DC not the AC
    also th inverter has a built in AFCI ( solaredge as listed in the drawing )
    you just need one external AC disconnect as per code.

also solaredge has optional revenue grade inverters which are built in to the inverters. Get the inverter with th optional revenu grade inverter and you can skip the external production meter.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
    X