Calling from PR - All this new to me - Bought Charger - Gen / Inverter.. Battery..?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyNight
    • Nov 2017

Calling from PR - All this new to me - Bought Charger - Gen / Inverter.. Battery..?

Hi All,

In Puerto Rico with a charger and generator / inverter I bought yesterday from a guy selling on the side of the road..

Buying anything solar related here is very hard to do.

Tried ordering solar generators from goalzero and renogy but they won't ship here...

So I'm not really sure what I have and if I'm going in the right direction..

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

I'm in Humacao which got hit pretty hard and electricity is still weeks away if not longer..

Got a Honda eu2000i which is good but really would like go in another direction, but in reality there was no sun for 2 weeks after Maria and we just went 3 days with very little sun so gas gens are needed for some days, at least as far as I can see..

People are trying to tell me that by just adding a battery to the 2 items I bought, that is all I need to get power, but it doesn't make sense to me as they're making it out to be a self powering device...

Was told to get a deep cycle gel battery or if not available an acid battery of at least 1,000 amps... Haven't found any Gel batteries yet, but I can get a 1,000 amp acid battery...

So anyway, as I see it at some point I have to recharge the battery through solar or by the Honda... despite what I'm being told by some I won't have to that...

Going to try and post photos of the things I bought yesterday..

They are..

1. Charger - Intelligent automatic quick charger
    AC 120v to DC 12v

2. Generator - 4000W Peak
    Modified Sine Wave Inverter
    2000W - DC12v to AC 120v

Wow.. so any comments if I'm going in the right direction would great to know..

Thanks very much..

Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

i'm going to set up a shop on the side of the road and sell Magic Beans.

Sadly, using a giant battery, and stuff from a roadside vendor, is not likely to be successful. Mod sine wave Inverters seldom run any motorized appliances well (fan, fridge compressor), they cause a lot of heat internal to the motor, and age it quickly.

A couple of 6v, 200 ah golf cart batteries wired in series for 12V is the cheapest way to start out. That will run a couple of 12V RV LED lights for many hours a night. A small 300W pure sine wave inverter will run a small window fan all night. A 20 - 40A Ac charger, plugged into the generator, will recharge the battery bank in a couple hours of engine time. Solar is unreliable, days and weeks of clouds, so you need the generator first. and solar panels 2nd. Many solar panels will be destroyed in hurricane winds, or smashed by debris, but the generator will not blow away.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JohnnyNight
      • Nov 2017

Yeah... Unfortunately the side of the road is the only place to buy anything you can't get online or in stores down here..

Yeah yeah... Magic is what I'm looking for...!

Comment

• NEOH
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnnyNight
        Hi All,

In Puerto Rico with a charger and generator / inverter I bought yesterday from a guy selling on the side of the road..

Buying anything solar related here is very hard to do.

Tried ordering solar generators from goalzero and renogy but they won't ship here...

So I'm not really sure what I have and if I'm going in the right direction..

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

I'm in Humacao which got hit pretty hard and electricity is still weeks away if not longer..

Got a Honda eu2000i which is good but really would like go in another direction, but in reality there was no sun for 2 weeks after Maria and we just went 3 days with very little sun so gas gens are needed for some days, at least as far as I can see..

People are trying to tell me that by just adding a battery to the 2 items I bought, that is all I need to get power, but it doesn't make sense to me as they're making it out to be a self powering device...

Was told to get a deep cycle gel battery or if not available an acid battery of at least 1,000 amps... Haven't found any Gel batteries yet, but I can get a 1,000 amp acid battery...

So anyway, as I see it at some point I have to recharge the battery through solar or by the Honda... despite what I'm being told by some I won't have to that...

Going to try and post photos of the things I bought yesterday..

They are..

1. Charger - Intelligent automatic quick charger
        AC 120v to DC 12v

2. Generator - 4000W Peak
        Modified Sine Wave Inverter
        2000W - DC12v to AC 120v

Wow.. so any comments if I'm going in the right direction would great to know..

Thanks very much..
        OK, you have ...
        a) A 12 Volt Battery Charger
        b) A 12 Volt DC to 120 Volt AC inverter 2000 Watt

NEEDED: Three Large 12 Volt Deep Cycle batteries

Yes, you can use you Honda Generator to power your home and also to recharge the Three Large Deep Cycle Batteries during the day.
        Then use only the Three Deep Cycle Batteries & Inverter during the night, to power maybe a small fridge, a small fan, TV and a light.
        This would allow you to shutdown the Honda generator all night long and save about ONE GALLON of gasoline = $3.00 per day?
        But you still must run the Honda Generator during the day.
        So, you save $90 in gasoline in month?
        What is the total cost of the Battery Charger, Three Large Deep Cycle Batteries and the AC Inverter ?
        More than $90 ?
        No savings !
        So then, what is the point ?

Comment

Working...