Help choosing the right MPPT Charge controller ....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AngliaUSA
    • Sep 2017

Help choosing the right MPPT Charge controller ....

So I just scored a terrific deal on a set of twelve 3 year old - very gently used 225W solar panels - they are German made QCells 225 polycrystalline panels - model # QC-C05-225, I have tested each panel and they are all working perfectly putting out open circuit voltage of 33.1 Volts / 6.7 amps each. I only paid $60 per panel so I think I did OK. or at least I hope I did .... now to match it to my old system ....

IMG_9412.jpegIMG_9413.jpeg

I need a new MPPT charge controller and I am lost as to what to buy .... in series all 12 panels are putting out 2.7kw and 400 volts / 7 amps .... so if I go that route I am going to need a 600 volt charge controller .. and yikes they are expensive ....

If I wire the panels in parallel ... am I right in thinking I'll keep my voltage to 34 volts and my amps to 84 ... so can I go with a much lower voltage charge controller .... and cheaper.... just as long as it can handle the amperage ????

I am still trying to get my head round the differences between wiring panels in series Vs Parallel ... pros and cons etc ...

My cabin's roof gets a min of 8 hrs of full sun without shade everyday (minus the clouds etc) and there is space to mount all 12 panels.

cabin.jpeg

My electronics are Trace 3624 Inverter and batteries are all 24V .... 4 x Trojan L-16RE-B / 370 amp hour high capacity lead acid 6 volt batteries.

The whole set up is for a back up power supply to my grid connected cabin ... in the event of power outage I want to be able to run my small fridge, a few interior lights , charge a cell phone or 2 and maybe watch a movie on an old tube TV .... that kind of thing. Everything worked great back in Y2k on my old 960W panels and 16x T105 Batteries ....but those panels and old batteries are now dead and gone. The electronics are the same.

I don't have to use all 12 panels ... but I did have to buy them all to get that price .. but I figure more wattage from the roof is better . I just need some advice on which MPPT charge controller I should consider that can handle the new higher voltage and amps.

And yes I know my inverter electronics are old (1999) .... but they only saw two years of active duty .. and since re-comisioning them for service everything is working perfectly..... green lights across the board.

Thanx in advance for any / all insightful comments / advice.

IMG_9435.jpegIMG_9433.jpegIMG_9432.jpegIMG_9431.jpegIMG_9439.jpegIMG_8306.jpeg

Attached Files
    Last edited by AngliaUSA; 10-20-2017, 12:37 AM.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Would you be willing to consider a hybrid grid-tie inverter? If your power company offers net metering, you could actually get some financial benefit from this backup system.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• AngliaUSA
      • Sep 2017

I looked into it .. but my power company won't allow it because my weekend cabin electrical usage is so low .... $10 per month max on average ... they size the system based on load / usage and monthly bill etc. I am pretty familiar with them as my principal residence in the city has a 5KW grid tie system on my roof... 7 years old now and it has just paid for itself ! Cost me $15k 7 years ago and my electrical bills went from $250 a month to $250 for the year .....

If and when the old Trace inverter dies I'll upgrade to a new True Sine Wave , and possibly do a hybrid grid tie ..... but for now I'd like to use the set up that I have and the new panels ....

I just need the right Charge Controller to take 600V / 84 amps from my array into my DR3624 Trace ...

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

You should probably be looking for a 40-60 A mppt CC, with 150 Voc string input. That would let you wire your array into four strings of 3 panels each. Outback FM60 is a popular choice, usually around $500. You'll need a four string combiner with over-current protection as well, and wire from the combiner to the charge controller that can handle the combined Isc's... 8.25 * 4 *1.56 = 51.5 A, so probably either 4 awg or 6 awg depending on how long the run will be. For $100-$150 more, the Midnight Classic 150 is an even more capable controller, although you'd have to remember to set the charge maximum to be 60 A or less so you don't hit the battery with full amount of current your array would be capable of.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• AzRoute66
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2017

I got 6.7 x 12 = 80.4, not 84 - a minor distinction to be sure. Either way, I think I would be looking for two 40 amp controllers, or smaller, rather than one to take the whole bite. Perhaps not, I have a terrible sense of the price of stuff.
          Last edited by AzRoute66; 10-20-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

The Midnite Solar Classic SL 150, solar only controller, is selling online for slightly over $500.00 . 96 amp max output.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• AngliaUSA
              • Sep 2017

Thank you all .. your advice is very much appreciated ... OK .. so getting my head round your suggestions .. I didn't realize you can wire in parallel and in series at the same time to the same charge controller ... sorry I am a newbie at this ... figuring it out as I go along ...

so four strings of 3 panels .... each string of 3 panels are in parallel - resulting in 4 x 33.4V / 21 amps on each string

giving me a combined total of the 4 strings of approx. 134V / 84A at the charge controller ...

makes sense .. thanx.

So now ... HOW do I figure the wiring of the panels correctly ... could anyone draw me a map showing the right way ? + to + or + to - etc

The panels each have the standard plus and minus MC4 connectors. ... but that only allows to me to connect as one single string of 12 as configured.

I guess I need the right adapters for the MC4 connections to reverse the polarity .. thus allowing me to connect + to + etc ....

Suggestions on which four string combiner with over-current protection to get ?

Thanx again . James.

12 panels - wiring map.pdf

12 panels - wiring map.jpg

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

You bring the 4 strings together in a fused combiner box. You can buy MC-4 connectors and crimp your own home run wires or buy various lengths of pre terminated MC-4 wire. You cut these lengths in half and bring the raw ends into the combiner. Some combiner boxes have MC-4 inputs, in which case you use whole MC-4 terminated wires and just plug them in.

Comment

• Raul
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

You guys missed the nominal batt. Voltage? Or I'm reading it wrong.

So your system is 24v. That means 12x226=2700wp/24v nom= 112,5 potentially charging amps.
                  That is 2 60A chargers if mppt .
                  Also with a 60 cell panel you will not be able to charge a 24v ; so the 12 paralel is out. The 4 strings of 3 will work well . You will have 99,3v at 6,7A per string in paralel the charger will see 99,3 at 26,8A at the input. The output will be your total panel power 12x225 wich is 2700wp divided by the batery bank voltage 24 v = 112,5A. That's why I suggested you need atleast 2 60A chargers to use the 12 panels.

Comment

• AngliaUSA
                    • Sep 2017

If each string of 3 panels is wired in parallel then the output voltage off the string is still 33.3V ...right ? .. only the amperage increases to 21 V

so when run the 4 strings through to a combiner box I'll end up within a total of 4 x 33.3 = 134V and 84 amps .. or am I missing something ?

Is this the right combiner box to consider ? and plugs ?

https://www.amazon.com/Midnite-Solar..._&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/Findyouled-Fe...3GWZFD5N75V0R5

Thanx.
                    Last edited by AngliaUSA; 10-20-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Raul
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2015

No, it's (33,1x3) when you put 3 panels In series add the voltage and amp remains the same . When you put the strings in paralel Voltage remains the same (at string level) and ad the amps . Read properly, I explained it above.
                      Last edited by Raul; 10-20-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• AngliaUSA
                        • Sep 2017

That's my point ... I'm NOT wiring the string of 3 in series ... in order to reduce the total voltage I need to wire in parallel. Hence the output of each string in parallel is still only 33.3 V with a combined amperage of approx. 21A.

If I have 4 of these strings going to a combiner box then my output from the combiner box is 4 x 33.3 = 134V and 84 amps .. or am I still missing something ?

This is all new to me so please forgive my lack of knowledge .. I am reading , rereading and hopefully asking the right questions .. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

• littleharbor
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2016

A string IS series wired. Amperage will not increase, voltage will. The 4 paralleled strings will add the amperage of the 4 strings. Your illustration is actually incorrect. It shows 4 groups of parallel wired panels, nothing more. Nothing in the illustration is series wired.

Comment

• littleharbor
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2016

Series wiring.jpg

This is 3 in series

Comment

• AngliaUSA
                              • Sep 2017

ok so my terminology is wrong .. sorry .. I didn't know a group of panels wired in parallel isn't called a string ... I'll just call it a 'group' so as not to confuse anyone .. LOL .. me mostly

I understand the difference between wiring in series vs parallel and what it does to the respective voltage and amperage. ...

going back to what SENJI wrote .. 'You should probably be looking for a 40-60 A mppt CC, with 150 Voc string input. That would let you wire your array into four strings of 3 panels each.'

so yes if I wire 3 panels in series as a string then my combined voltage will be approx 100V and 7 amps.

then if I combine them all together I'll have 400 amps at the charge controller ....not really what I want to avoid the cost of a huge charge controller ..

But if I wire the 3 panels in parallel then I'll have 33.4 V and 21A going to the combiner box ...

So 4 lots of these 3 (parallel wired) panels and I'm back to where I want to be which is approx 133V and 81A ... does this sound right and doable ?

My diagram is mean't to show my 4 groups of 3 panels wires in parallel. As suggested.

My confusion grows .. perhaps back to the drawing board ...?
                              Last edited by AngliaUSA; 10-20-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...