grounding the panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding the panels?

I've got 8 of the 100w panels running. My system is all fused and grounded...except the panels themselves. The lightning today made me wonder where a hit to the panels would travel. The leads from the panels to controller are burried, and pass over the grounding rods' bonding wire on the way to renogy Rover 40A mppt controller. Is it customary to fuse or ground the panels somehow? The controller is not grounded either, except for the lead that goes to the negative battery post which runs to the grounding rods. Do you fuse each panel too? Completely overlooked that.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

Yes, it is customary to ground the PV Panels using the manufacturers specified "GND" hole.

Fuses usually in the PV Combiner Box

Every piece of metal that does not conduct current should be bonded to ground.
    Last edited by NEOH; 10-12-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Hmm, ok. Does that mean 8 leads to the ground pole, or can you link them all and run a single lead?

Comment

Usually Daisy Chain, panel-to-panel-to-panel-to-ground with one contiguous solid copper wire.

https://www.homepower.com/articles/s...ing-pv-systems

Comment

K, thanks. Had an overvoltage CC shut down this morning. Looks like I might need that 9th panel.

Comment

Working...
          X