SMA Micro Inverters and Panel Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMA Micro Inverters and Panel Selection

Hello all, I am thinking of using the SMA micro inverters (SMA US-240-10) in my next project. Anyone have any experience with these?

For a panel, I am considering the Upsolar 290W monos but I am not sure if this is a good idea. I'm aware that there will be some clipping. The panels have a 265W PTC whereas the micros have a 240W output. This does not bother me too much. I learned from research that its rare to get full PTC from a panel so my loss will be fairly insignificant.

My real worry is with current. The SMA micro has a max input 8.5A whereas the panels have a 9.12A (Imp). I am not an electrician so I am not sure if this is ok. I know for normal electrical devices attached to a power supply, pulling less current than what the PS can provide is ok, but can I treat inverters like a power supply? I am not sure. The design software does not seem to complain about the combo, but I was hopping for someone with more experience to chime in.

Thanks in advance.

Theses are really pretty much abandoned products from SMA. Look to solaredge or Enphase instead.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
      Theses are really pretty much abandoned products from SMA. Look to solaredge or Enphase instead.
      Wow really? I figured with NEC2017 cloud looming in many states, SMA would be focusing on micros. Or are they switching to optimizer's with their investment in Tigo? Anyway, good to know. I only considered them because they are very cheap ($40 each). Though I dont like their gateways since they seem to be limited to 12 micros per gateway.

Comment

Working...
      X