Advice on using used (2014) golf cart batteries in a 24v battery bank???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texman38
    • Sep 2017

Advice on using used (2014) golf cart batteries in a 24v battery bank???

Its been determined from some folks on here that an optimum battery bank for my equipment (2 @ 235 watt Hanwha 60 cell solar panels & 40A EPEVER Tracer 4210A CC) would be to run 4 x 6v golf cart batteries wired in series at 24v. So my question is this. I have a golf cart already that has at least 4 good 6v batteries (I think) still holding a charge... Is there any issues I need to be concerned with trying to use my equipment on older used golf cart batteries (mid 2014)? Additionally, what would be the BEST way to determine the health of a 6v battery so i can pick the best 4 out of my golf cart to use? Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • NEOH
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2010

Measure the SG with a hydrometer

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I agree with NEOH. You first measure the SG of each cell with a temperature compensated hydrometer. Then you charge each battery up to 100% SOC and then put it under load to see if it is really doing what it should do.

Again chances are the none of those 6V batteries will provide you anything close to what a new 6V battery will so test them and pick 4 but more than likely that set is nothing more then a short term test set to give you some idea on how a solar / battery system works.

Comment

Working...