1-5 inches shading cause the whole string to drop power to 16w?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kb58
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

+1. I try to remember always that there is often a much larger set of readers of my mental spoor who may have the same (mis)information and opinions as those of the person who authored the post I'm addressing.
    Haha, I've had the exact same discussions on car forums, getting someone pissed at me because I said his aluminum chassis is a really bad idea. On the other hand, doing so potentially saves dozens of uninformed readers who might be thinking of doing the same.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kb58
      Haha, I've had the exact same discussions on car forums, getting someone pissed at me because I said his aluminum chassis is a really bad idea. On the other hand, doing so potentially saves dozens of uninformed readers who might be thinking of doing the same.
      Everyone who tells me things that might embarrass me (happens all the time) isn't necessarily trying to hurt me. Often, there is at least a kernel of truth in what they say.

Criticizing a design (or lack of it) or blatant rectrocranial U. T. A. logic is only the same as a personal attack to those folks lacking self respect, confidence or common sense, all in some measure.

Correcting or pointing out logical fallacies and/oror the results of ignorance to such folks and others who might go down the same path ought better be considered a public service than a personal attack. Time to grow up/get a sack.

Comment

• AzRoute66
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2017

Perhaps a critical examination of what I was trying to suggest in Post #37 would both be instructive/constructive to others as well as shifting some of the vitriol off the OP and on to me, since I am used to it. I'm sure there are improvements or other alternatives that should be explored.

Comment

• Chebamau
          • Sep 2017

Woa.. so many comments on my DIY.. thanks for pointing out the stupidity. I wouldn't post the question if I know all the answers. Don't tell me that those negative comments people didn't make any mistake before they master it.

Route66, Butch: Thanks for all the suggestions. No shading cause by any trees around those 1st and 2nd rows. Only partial shading is the first row cause by the chimney but that wouldn't take out the whole string. Yeah, I will have to relocate the 2nd row to the garage area and some on the south facing roof. The south facing roof have too many vents that I can't fit all 16 panels, therefore my option is the North facing roof. Of course, look was an issue too.

Anyhow. thank you very much for all the input. I will see how far I can get with the temporary fix. If it getting worse, I will relocate those panels.

Comment

• Chebamau
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AzRoute66
            You should be experiencing morning shade shutdown as well (except for perhaps the easternmost panel), up until about 1030 I would think.

What is your general location?

92653, CA

There is not going to be a 'quick fix' for your winter (Oct - March) solar production.
            Agreed - I will have to relocate if I want 100% production through out the year.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Chebamau
              Yeah, I will have to relocate the 2nd row to the garage area and some on the south facing roof. The south facing roof have too many vents that I can't fit all 16 panels, therefore my option is the North facing roof. Of course, look was an issue too.

Anyhow. thank you very much for all the input. I will see how far I can get with the temporary fix. If it getting worse, I will relocate those panels.
              I would suggest that you move some of the vents in the south face or install around them
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• AzRoute66
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

I would suggest that you move some of the vents in the south face or install around them
                Agreed. Moving vents is sometimes easier than it sounds. Just moved my dryer vent to where it should have been in the first place.

Comment

Working...