X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

Software Glitches! SunnyBoy 6.0-US

I need some help troubleshooting some software glitches.

I have an SMA SunnyBoy 6.0 US-40 and the interface is not keeping track of historical power usage correctly. I'm missing data, seeing data where it shouldn't be, etc.

Take a look at this screen shot.. I have data for Sept 16 and Sept 19, but what happened to the 17th and 18th.... They were there on the 18th when I looked. I'm missing a couple days in August too..
    Glitch1.jpg

And this one.. What happened at 2AM in the morning? Did a Type 1A SuperNova explode next door or something?
    Glitch2.jpg

And this one below.. The daily data curves are not available for any day before today...

Glitch3.jpg

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Attached Files
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Murby
    I need some help troubleshooting some software glitches.

I have an SMA SunnyBoy 6.0 US-40 and the interface is not keeping track of historical power usage correctly. I'm missing data, seeing data where it shouldn't be, etc.

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?
    No but mine behaved the same way (data drops & Super Nova) until I set correct time zone (or it simply coincided with someone fixing stuff at SMA). Are your time values correct on those graphs? Mine were off by several hours until I fixed it. The delay for data to show up on the portal is usually less than 30 min.

Comment

• Murby
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2017

I have automatic time update turned off because my firewall wouldn't allow the outbound traffic anyhow.. When I checked my time, its 2 minutes off what my computer says the time is.. I set the time within the inverters interface when I installed it.

Fixing stuff at SMA?
      My system has no connection to SMA.. I am currently using a wireless connection to an internal LAN ip address. If I remember correctly, I turned off all external communications within the user interface..

Comment

• max2k
        • May 2015

I have automatic time update turned off because my firewall wouldn't allow the outbound traffic anyhow.. When I checked my time, its 2 minutes off what my computer says the time is.. I set the time within the inverters interface when I installed it.

Fixing stuff at SMA?
        My system has no connection to SMA.. I am currently using a wireless connection to an internal LAN ip address. If I remember correctly, I turned off all external communications within the user interface..
        I have 2 x 3.8 SMA inverters and it took some efforts to get them in synch with portal and between each other. I rarely use inverter's Web UI , more often their desktop app Sunny Explorer (version 1.07.29) as it allows me to see both inverters on the same screen and it has more options I think. Both inverters have firmware version 2.3.1.R and I have NTP configured on both. You can open outbound NTP port on your firewall (UDP 123) no harm in doing this. In fact I have no outbound filtering on my firewall and don't see much problem with that either.

BTW if you're concerned with security SMA inverters come configured as 'Access Points' so if you left that on it gives anyone out there wireless access to your LAN .

Comment

• Murby
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by max2k

I have 2 x 3.8 SMA inverters and it took some efforts to get them in synch with portal and between each other. I rarely use inverter's Web UI , more often their desktop app Sunny Explorer (version 1.07.29) as it allows me to see both inverters on the same screen and it has more options I think. Both inverters have firmware version 2.3.1.R and I have NTP configured on both. You can open outbound NTP port on your firewall (UDP 123) no harm in doing this. In fact I have no outbound filtering on my firewall and don't see much problem with that either.

BTW if you're concerned with security SMA inverters come configured as 'Access Points' so if you left that on it gives anyone out there wireless access to your LAN .
          I live out in a rural area.... If someone is able to out wit my dog and manages to get close enough to my array to get access to my LAN, wireless security will be the last thing I'm worried about...

But ya.. I get your point. I have a CAT5 cable in a conduit run between the house and the array already.. I just need to get some RJ45 connectors because I ran out when I hooked up my friends LAN.. I've never liked wireless to begin with.. Once I get it all hooked up, I can turn all that garbage off..

Still can't figure out why my inverter isn't storing data correctly.... I don't see what difference a date setting would make or a wireless setting, or even being hooked up to their portal.. it should still store the data internally....

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

I live out in a rural area.... If someone is able to out wit my dog and manages to get close enough to my array to get access to my LAN, wireless security will be the last thing I'm worried about...

But ya.. I get your point. I have a CAT5 cable in a conduit run between the house and the array already.. I just need to get some RJ45 connectors because I ran out when I hooked up my friends LAN.. I've never liked wireless to begin with.. Once I get it all hooked up, I can turn all that garbage off..

Still can't figure out why my inverter isn't storing data correctly.... I don't see what difference a date setting would make or a wireless setting, or even being hooked up to their portal.. it should still store the data internally....
            May be those lost data & Super Nova events were around time you were playing with its time settings? At least it was this way for me. Since I had 2 of them when one was several hrs off from another their curves could not be 'merged' into one single graph and I got all kind of mess at the time. I never configured WiFi on mine so I don't know exactly how it works- do you see it getting local IP from your LAN or you simply connect to it over its own WiFi connection using laptop/tablet/phone?

If it is getting its own IP from your LAN opening outbound UDP port 123 and configuring its NTP settings might solve this problem.

Comment

• Murby
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by max2k

May be those lost data & Super Nova events were around time you were playing with its time settings? At least it was this way for me. Since I had 2 of them when one was several hrs off from another their curves could not be 'merged' into one single graph and I got all kind of mess at the time. I never configured WiFi on mine so I don't know exactly how it works- do you see it getting local IP from your LAN or you simply connect to it over its own WiFi connection using laptop/tablet/phone?

If it is getting its own IP from your LAN opening outbound UDP port 123 and configuring its NTP settings might solve this problem.
              No.. I didn't do anything to it.. The only interaction I have anymore is to login and see what kind of power we're producing... maybe 3 or 4 times a day if I'm near the computer....

Comment

Working...