Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dokken5
    • Sep 2017

Amps/Watts quesiton.

OK, so I have a 36v system, that is constant correct? However, as Watts rise, amps will rise too correct? Or are Amps a constant too??
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

The battery voltage should be used to describe the system voltage. The voltage and current delivered by the PV array into the charge controller will be determined by how it is wired and the environmental conditions.
    Last edited by sensij; 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• dokken5
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by sensij
      The battery voltage should be used to describe the system voltage. The voltage and current delivered by the PV array will be determined by how it is wired and the environmental conditions.
      Am I right in thinking that if the PV is producing 100 watts, then it is running at about 2.7Amp and if it is producing 200 watts, then it would be running at about 5.5 Amp.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dokken5

Am I right in thinking that if the PV is producing 100 watts, then it is running at about 2.7Amp and if it is producing 200 watts, then it would be running at about 5.5 Amp.
        What is your battery voltage? What kind of charge controller? 36 V is not a common system voltage. You might be right, but haven't shared enough information to be sure.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Do you have a battery system? A 36V battery bank is rare and odd. much more common would be 12V, 24V, or 48V
          if you are talking about the PV modules then they have a VOC voltage that could be 36V but what it puts out at any time could be very different from that.

basically Watts = Amps X Volts
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• dokken5
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal
            Do you have a battery system? A 36V battery bank is rare and odd. much more common would be 12V, 24V, or 48V
            if you are talking about the PV modules then they have a VOC voltage that could be 36V but what it puts out at any time could be very different from that.

Basically its just a general question. Not really focused on solar per/se. Just trying to get the amps/watts thing straight in my mind.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Basically its just a general question. Not really focused on solar per/se. Just trying to get the amps/watts thing straight in my mind.
              it is not clear what you are talking about then. If it is a battery system then the CC will convert the power down to the battery charge voltage required in one of two ways ( either MPPT or PWM methods).
              If it is the PV voltage that you are talking about then the voltage would not be constant.

you're statement of " are Amps a constant too?" implies that you suspect that something other than Amps is constant in solar. Such are Watts or Volts. Neither is constant.
              The Watts, Volts, and Amps will vary from moment to moment based on the MPPT formula, PV modules specs, available light, and temperature of the PV modules.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

OK, so I have a 36v system, that is constant correct? However, as Watts rise, amps will rise too correct? Or are Amps a constant too??
                For an electrical system Watts = Volts x Amps. So if the Watts increase then either or both the voltage & amps also increase to keep the formula balanced.

But as others have stated when it comes to solar panels the Vmp or Voltage at max power usually stays the same when the panel is producing. The Amps will change based on the amount of sun hitting the panel which in turn changes the Watt output in linear relation to the Amps output.

Comment

• DrLumen
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2017

If the 36 volts is constant then yes. At a constant voltage, the amps is directly proportional to the watts.

If you look at the formula, you could get 200 watts at ~2.7 amps by doubling the volts - hence why BD is qualifying the response.

Comment

• dokken5
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Why would a 36v system be rare? All of my panels are 36-38v. How would you run that to a 24 or 48 system?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Why would a 36v system be rare? All of my panels are 36-38v. How would you run that to a 24 or 48 system?
                      With a charge controller of course.

my array runs ~110V but I have a 48V batter bank.

you would have a hard time charging a 36v batter with a 36v array. To charge batteries you need a higher voltage...

Comment

Working...