Solar Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Trackers

For argument's sake, I was looking at the non-powered single axis ones but eventually making my own 2 axis.

Are they worth it?

It varies. With the recent drop in panel prices, you can achieve the same peak performance as a
    tracker by adding some panels usually of varying orientation. These extra panels will not require
    additional inverter plant when arranged as parallel strings, but they generally will if used with micro
    inverters.

If you have a lot of clouds, extra panels will boost output, as the dispersed light works on all panels.
    A tracker can do nothing to help under clouds. Of course trackers have maintenance issues, esp
    under sever conditions, and multiple units can tend to shadow each other in limited space. Bruce Roe

Comment

The space requirements for a 2 axis tracker is much more than a single axis and a lot more then a fix system.

Also remember that if you want to move a number of panels at the same time they can get real heavy and require much bigger supports and tilting hardware.

Comment

bcroe, that is a good point. For the cost and maintenance of the trackers I could throw some fixed panels at the issue instead. I guess I need to crunch some numbers. I think I see PVWatts in my future.

SunEagle, that was another thing I was considering. I was thinking on the range of about 12 panels. Perhaps instead of a large one maybe have two smaller ones. The wind gusts we get is another factor and another reason to perhaps use two smaller ones.

Maybe I'm letting the cool factor color my judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLumen View Post
          Maybe I'm letting the cool factor color my judgement.
          Don't underestimate the 'cool factor'. Nothing captures my fascination like somebody rotating an array that would sail a frigate with a self propelled lawnmower and a photocell array on a sundial.

Comment

A pcell array on a sundial type thing might work pretty good. Not sure about the lawnmower. Is that just for the use of the transmission?

I was thinking more along the lines of a passive system for the altitude and the equivalent of a huge honking DC clock motor for the azimuth. I would like a method for laying the panels down horizontally and automatically in the event of a storm. I haven't figured that one out yet using a passive altitude system.

Comment

A pcell array on a sundial type thing might work pretty good. Not sure about the lawnmower. Is that just for the use of the transmission?

I was thinking more along the lines of a passive system for the altitude and the equivalent of a huge honking DC clock motor for the azimuth. I would like a method for laying the panels down horizontally and automatically in the event of a storm. I haven't figured that one out yet using a passive altitude system.
              I think that would take some type of hydraulic piston system that could raise and lower the panel array. I am sure it could be done but at what cost and will the ability to adjust for seasons or wind storm be worth it?

Comment

If a blizzard was coming, the preference here would be to set them vertical, or even slightly over vertical until the
                snow was removed. I have a couple 24VDC electric activators from Surplus Ctr, Lincon that have the muscle,
                but don't have a suitable array at this time. 52 inch, 5620 lb., 15 minutes to cover the range. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

If a blizzard was coming, the preference here would be to set them vertical, or even slightly over vertical until the
                  snow was removed. I have a couple 24VDC electric activators from Surplus Ctr, Lincon that have the muscle,
                  but don't have a suitable array at this time. 52 inch, 5620 lb., 15 minutes to cover the range. Bruce Roe
                  I went and looked those up. Those are cool. They would eliminate having to make a worm or chain drive.

Thanks for the idea and link! They have some cool stuff.

Comment

For argument's sake, I was looking at the non-powered single axis ones but eventually making my own 2 axis.

Are they worth it?
                    Usually no.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

SolFocus 315.JPGSolFocus 315 (3).JPGSolFocus 315 (2).JPG

Those are pretty stout actuators. I thought the brand name sounded familiar. They were used on dual axis trackers with these panels. They are beasts. If I remember correctly they are about 8"thick and about 50- 55 lbs. There was a large, quite sophisticated brain box and wiring harnesses that went along with them. I bought a couple surplus pallets of them for 120.00 a pallet.
                      Last edited by littleharbor; 09-03-2017, 09:54 PM.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...
                      X