Battery replacement/upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Thanks. If I have to evacuate I will not be on the forum for a while. But my fingers are crossed that it will go East and stay away from my house.
    Don't know what I can do to help you, but holler if you need. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Good luck with that record Atlantic storm. At this rate SunKing will never get to go home. Bruce Roe
      So Sunking works for (receives payment from) a utility or utilities?

Comment

Originally posted by adoublee View Post
        No, Bruce's comment was aimed at the two storms arriving in such rapid succession, Sunking went to the Houston area to help out with Hurricane Harvey, and Bruce was facetiously suggesting Sunking might be needed next in Florida to help out with Hurricane Irma.

Although, I can see where some might get the impression that Sunking does receive some recomp from the utilities with the voracity with which he compares off-grid solar to POCO grid Return-On-Investment. (This was also meant as tongue-in-cheek)
        Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-07-2017, 02:36 PM. Reason: removed some confusing pronouns

Comment

Originally posted by adoublee View Post

Sunking is a Professional Engineer that is sometimes contracted to work on power or grid issues. While that may tick some people off I would say he is a better resource to this Forum because of both his knowledge and hands on experience of the power grid and batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Don't know what I can do to help you, but holler if you need. Good luck.
            Thanks for your support.

Whatever happens to me, my wish is for this forum to continue to run smoothly and provide the support to those that ask for help concerning solar.

You do provide that type of support and I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Sunking is a Professional Engineer that is sometimes contracted to work on power or grid issues. While that may tick some people off I would say he is a better resource to this Forum because of both his knowledge and hands on experience of the power grid and batteries.
              +1.

Add: Without knowing or wishing to know the exact circumstances he's in, or any consulting arrangements he's made - NOMB- I suspect SK sort of put himself in harm's way, and whatever compensation arrangements he's working under, if any, first of all, he probably doesn't need the $$, and second, and in spite of his sometimes abrasive nature, his actions with respect to disaster relief may be an insight into some of how he feels about his fellow man, perhaps not unlike all the usually useful and free information he imparts to folks around here - some of whom are, IMO only, more concerned about having their feelings hurt than getting straight answers.

Whatever deal he's cut, I bet there's a lot easier ways to make a buck. Besides, I know of no one else around here (including me) who's stepped up to the plate.

Comment

And here I just thought SK was just full of himself. I guess you can't always judge a conductor by it's resistance. Besides the help he is providing with disaster aid, he has also given his time and knowledge somewhat freely here. If only he wasn't like the first person I spoke with here before my toes were wet.
                900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

Comment

Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
                  And here I just thought SK was just full of himself. I guess you can't always judge a conductor by it's resistance. Besides the help he is providing with disaster aid, he has also given his time and knowledge somewhat freely here. If only he wasn't like the first person I spoke with here before my toes were wet.
                  Even I felt like I was hit in the head with a 2 x 4 in the beginning from SK and Russ. Once I got to know some of them better and I let my skin get a little thicker it made it easier to listen to what they were really saying because they were trying to help me in their own way.

Comment

So, are the 6V 230AH FLA deep cycle from Duracell any good? Called to pick up my T105RE's today....maybe in next month now they say. Refund! Trojan doesn't even have any.
                    batteries are elusive around here. Got the Duracell in stock at Batteries Plus.
                    Last edited by Gdwats; 09-11-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

So, are the 6V 230AH FLA deep cycle from Duracell any good? Called to pick up my T105RE's today....maybe in next month now they say. Refund! Trojan doesn't even have any.
                      batteries are elusive around here. Got the Duracell in stock at Batteries Plus.
                      They sound like coach batteries you use in an RV. IMO probably no where near the same quality as the Trojans. But if they are cheap maybe getting them as you first trial set would be a good idea.

Comment

Thanks SE. And I agree. However finding Trojan batteries is very difficult around here, and I wasn't willing to wait yet another month or more to get some, so I ended up getting 4 of the 6V Duracell 230AH deep cycle FLAs. All hooked up in series and will check cell levels, then connect to CC in the morning. I have a 4 stage ro/di water filter left over from the reef tank days for top off water, and know how to change CC from SLD to FLA, so am all ready.
                        I learned something new about inverters today, and devices in general...."always hook the ground wire up last".
                        The 125A fuse did its job wonderfully, and saved the inverter. All is well (and I had a spare fuse on hand fortunately).

Comment

Thanks SE. And I agree. However finding Trojan batteries is very difficult around here, and I wasn't willing to wait yet another month or more to get some, so I ended up getting 4 of the 6V Duracell 230AH deep cycle FLAs. All hooked up in series and will check cell levels, then connect to CC in the morning. I have a 4 stage ro/di water filter left over from the reef tank days for top off water, and know how to change CC from SLD to FLA, so am all ready.
                          I learned something new about inverters today, and devices in general...."always hook the ground wire up last".
                          The 125A fuse did its job wonderfully, and saved the inverter. All is well (and I had a spare fuse on hand fortunately).
                          Glad to hear you and your equipment are ok. Stay safe and record details of you battery system so you have an idea how is works and decays over it's lifetime. Then try to get better batteries when they become available.

Comment

Indeed. Three more question about the batteries:

Is it ok to have them sitting on dirt.

Should you kill all loads before checking fluid levels?

Is the hydrometer just a trouble shooting device to check individual cells for issues? If all you do is top off with Rodi water I don't see how that's going to change specific gravity when you don't add much at all.

Comment

Indeed. Three more question about the batteries:

Is it ok to have them sitting on dirt. It would be better to have them on something that will not let them settle or degrade due to water. Probably some type of thick plastic sheet.

Should you kill all loads before checking fluid levels? I would make sure the batteries have no load or are connected to the charger when I check them.

Is the hydrometer just a trouble shooting device to check individual cells for issues? If all you do is top off with Rodi water I don't see how that's going to change specific gravity when you don't add much at all. A hydrometer can be considered a trouble shooting device or a "health checker" of the specific gravity of the fluid in the batteries. Usually the water added is distilled or does not include any elements that react with acid.
                              I have answered your questions above but there may be better responses by others.

Comment

And I thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X