No announcement yet.

Battery replacement/upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have fuses for battery terminals coming. Now, is there any reason to fuse between panels and cc? Ive heard people say so, but im not even close to the cc limits.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

Comment

You only need to install fuses between the panels and CC if you have more than 2 panels or strings wired in parallel. Then you fuse each paralleled item which should be accomplished using a combiner box. You can install a fuse on the positive wire in the pair between the combined panels and CC to protect it but it is not required.

Comment

Ok thanks. I am confused. The CCand the inverter both tie in to the same terminal posts on the battery. How do you put a 40A fuse on the battery for the cc and a 125A fuse for the inverter? It seems like they would both see both fuses...hmm. Is that where the dual fuse block separates them, and you only need the dual block on one terminal with the 2 fuses in it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
          Ok thanks. I am confused. The CCand the inverter both tie in to the same terminal posts on the battery. How do you put a 40A fuse on the battery for the cc and a 125A fuse for the inverter? It seems like they would both see both fuses...hmm. Is that where the dual fuse block separates them, and you only need the dual block on one terminal with the 2 fuses in it ?
          Right-ish. If your system is not grounded, you should have a dual fuse block on both terminals (the DC+ and the DC-). If the DC- is grounded, then you only need the fuse block on the DC+ terminal.

The dual fuse block allows you to terminate the CC to the 40 A fuse and the inverter to the 125 A fuse, so that the wiring for each is appropriately protected. That you want to use two different inverters complicates it, if you want to use smaller wire for the lower power inverter, that wire would need a different protection than the higher power inverter. (If you use the same heavy wire for both inverters, that simplifies it, although the smaller inverter might not accept such a large wire).
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

If the wire between the CC and battery is short you can fuse it at the battery terminal. Since I have a 30amp CC I chose to use an in line fuse as close to the CC output that goes to the battery terminal. I then use a Blue Sea inline block with an ANL type fuse on the positive wire that goes between the battery terminal and Inverter.

I believe that a dual Blue Seas fuse block can be used with 2 different amp rated fuses up to 300amps. You would connect the wire going to the CC to the 40amp fuse and the wire going to the inverter at the 125a fuse.

Comment

Perfect. Except now I'll need to ground the negative terminal of the battery bank. When do I get paid?

Comment

Perfect. Except now I'll need to ground the negative terminal of the battery bank. When do I get paid?
                If you plan on keeping the battery system in place then go with a ground rod and connect all of the Negative wires to it.

If you plan on your system being mobile then go with the second set of fuses for the Negative side.

Comment

Hmm, not mobile. When you say All the negative wires to the ground post, do you mean to run the neg wires from the charge controller, and the inverter directly to the rod, instead of or as well as, the neg post on the battery? Is the diametrically opposed neg terminal of the BBank connected only to the ground rod? This seems wrong, or at least out of my experience.
                  thanks

Comment

Hmm, not mobile. When you say All the negative wires to the ground post, do you mean to run the neg wires from the charge controller, and the inverter directly to the rod, instead of or as well as, the neg post on the battery? Is the diametrically opposed neg terminal of the BBank connected only to the ground rod? This seems wrong, or at least out of my experience.
                    thanks
                    Right... Don't make the ground rod or ground wires current carrying conductors. Connect the DC- for the inverter and the CC to the neg battery post. Run the ground wire from the neg battery post to your ground rod.

If your cc or inverter has a dedicated ground terminal, (in addition to DC+ and DC-), that ground wire should be run directly to the ground rod.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Right... Don't make the ground rod or ground wires current carrying conductors.

Connect the DC- for the inverter and the CC to the neg battery post. Run the ground wire from the neg battery post to your ground rod.

If your cc or inverter has a dedicated ground terminal, (in addition to DC+ and DC-), that ground wire should be run directly to the ground rod.
                      Hmm, so all current carrying wires(conductors),the red(+), wires connect to (+)battery terminal's dual fuse blocks. The black(-) wires all go to the grounding rod, with the exception that if the devices have their own ground terminal then hook the black (ground wires) to the diagonally opposite, neg battery terminal too. The neg terminal of the battery must tie in to the "common ground" roads well, yes?

I plan to get a 6foot rod and drive it 5 feet under. 1/2" or 5/8" diameter copper clad rod. Will that do?
                      Last edited by Gdwats; 09-07-2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Hmm, so all current carrying wires(conductors),the red(+), wires connect to (+)battery terminal's dual fuse blocks. The black(-) wires all go to the grounding rod, with the exception that if the devices have their own ground terminal then hook the black (ground wires) to the diagonally opposite, neg battery terminal too. The neg terminal of the battery must tie in to the "common ground" roads well, yes?

I plan to get a 6foot rod and drive it 5 feet under. 1/2" or 5/8" diameter copper clad rod. Will that do?
                        The current carrying conductors are the DC+ (red) and DC- (black). These connect your power source (charge controller) to your battery, and your loads (inverter) to your battery. Nothing to do with grounding.

The ground wires (green), when used, bond one polarity to ground. In some applications, bonding DC+ to ground is conventional. For the equipment you are using, bonding DC- to ground is appropriate. That bond is made by running a ground wire from the DC- terminal of the battery to the ground rod. No other ground connection is needed, unless your equipment has a terminal designated for a ground connection.

The circuit diagrams in this post show it reasonably well.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...081#post355081

Comment

Crystal clear, I think. Again, thanks!

my inverter has a ground lug. The CC does not. So all I need to do is to add the wire from the battery negative(ground) terminal to the rod And and another wire from the inverter ground lug to the rod. The rest remains as is, with the dual 40A/125A CC/inv fuse block on the pos battery terminal. Whew.
                          Last edited by Gdwats; 09-07-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

thanks
                            Sorry for the confusion concerning the ground wires.

Thanks sensij for providing the OP with a much clearer description along with that circuit diagram for his system.

My mind is a little focused on getting prepared for any weather related issues with Irma coming to see me.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

My mind is a little focused on getting prepared for any weather related issues with Irma coming to see me.
                              Good luck with that record Atlantic storm. At this rate SunKing will never get to go home. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Good luck with that record Atlantic storm. At this rate SunKing will never get to go home. Bruce Roe
                                Thanks. If I have to evacuate I will not be on the forum for a while. But my fingers are crossed that it will go East and stay away from my house.

Comment

Working...
                                X