X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Solaredge combo EV charger/inverter

At Intersolar I saw an interesting device - Solaredge now has a combination EV charger and grid tie inverter. Nothing too special about that. But one cool thing is that when it is installed on a 40A breaker (which is limited to 32A during normal operation) the EV charger will actually go to 40A when the solar system is running and producing at least 8 amps, since it can still draw 32 amps or less through the breaker.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

This is what they were working on instead of getting the 7600H-US released? Sheesh. What cars beside the Teslas and Rav4 can even use that extra capability today?
    Last edited by sensij; 07-12-2017, 04:33 PM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

This is almost a trivial addition to all the HDWave inverters.
      I don't think it took away any tom form the 7600H-US inverter.

Besides the 40A charging capability, it also has a few other advantages,
      single 40a breaker for inverter and charger instead of two (which wouldn't work well in many homes)
      reduced wiring and labor costs.

This is on the SE7600H-US BTW: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...EV-charger.pdf
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• JSchnee21
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2017

Not to mention the fact that for those of us who still work in offices/labs (versus at home) my future electric car will be parked at work when the sun is shining. So not very helpful. And this assumes your inverter is in / near your garage / driveway anyway.

I agree, focus on accelerating the roll out of the HD line to larger inverter sizes. Add 802.11n/ac Wifi to your inverters. Integrate consumption monitoring and/or SREC production metering. Reduce the cost and improve integration options for storage and/or emergency power / generator options.

How about a clear and easy E-stop button in the event of a fire or other emergency versus someone unfamiliar with the system trying to find the various AC and DC disconnects and inverter power switch.

Better support / integration of backup power / island mode in the event of a Poco outage -- assuming there was storage and/or generator present to manage the unpredictable supply and demand.

Yamaha generators, for example, have this cool and innovative feature where they have a small DC battery upstream of an oversized inverter which enables them to manage longer/deeper motor inrush currents than a Honda inverter generator, for example.

Right now storage solutions seem very proprietary and piecemeal (not to mention expensive). But the battery sizes could be significantly reduced given an alternative generation source (small gas generator) and a reliable/safe way to shed extra production -- for backup power application (not load shifting, per se).

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by JSchnee21
          Not to mention the fact that for those of us who still work in offices/labs (versus at home) my future electric car will be parked at work when the sun is shining. So not very helpful.
          But perhaps helpful for workplace chargers.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

I agree, focus on accelerating the roll out of the HD line to larger inverter sizes.
            look more closely at the announcement that IS a larger HDWave the SE7600H

Integrate consumption monitoring and/or SREC production metering.

Solaredge already has integrated revenue grade meters for SRECs and easily integrated consumption meters.

How about a clear and easy E-stop button in the event of a fire or other emergency versus someone unfamiliar with the system trying to find the various AC and DC disconnects and inverter power switch.
            All the HD waves have automatic rapid shutdown. You can't get any simpler than that.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...