Can a solar PV system do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post

Actually, the powerwall 2 (which has AC in and out) is 7K for 13.5KWH. I am unaware of battery systems with equivalent warranties, but will look at the offgrid forums. have people done the genset optimization piece?

thx
    mike
    If you can actually get a 13.5kWh system installed for 7k you will be in luck. A number of people have found the installation to be higher then originally estimated which pushes up the cost/kWh over the lifetime. Oh and that stated lifetime has yet to be determined as being accurate.

Just be careful not to fall for what the salesperson says. Remember their first priority is to sell you something and they probably won't be around when if is it fails sooner then stated.

Comment

Really, where does it say that in the warranty?: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...nty_us_1-4.pdf

thx
      mike
      In the table for item 2.

A time shifting system is NOT solar for self-consumption/backup only, so the second line of the table applies and the integrated energy shift over the life of the warranty is limited to
      37.8MWh of aggregate throughput
      That number is essentially the product of the total cycle count and the average cycle depth in kWh divided by 1000.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

In the table for item 2.

A time shifting system is NOT solar for self-consumption/backup only, so the second line of the table applies and the integrated energy shift over the life of the warranty is limited to

That number is essentially the product of the total cycle count and the average cycle depth in kWh divided by 1000.
        There is also the inherent limitation that dropping to 71% power within a few months is not an event covered by warranty.
        And if they choose to be logic choppers, you do not have any cause for action due to lost capacity until the end of the ten year period.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Really, where does it say that in the warranty?: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...nty_us_1-4.pdf

thx
          mike
          Running off grid with generator is not the same as backup to them so you would fall under the 37.8MWh of aggregate usage.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Running off grid with generator is not the same as backup to them so you would fall under the 37.8MWh of aggregate usage.

Makes sense, but that's not a fixed number of cycles either.

Thx
            mike

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

If you can actually get a 13.5kWh system installed for 7k you will be in luck. A number of people have found the installation to be higher then originally estimated which pushes up the cost/kWh over the lifetime. Oh and that stated lifetime has yet to be determined as being accurate.

Just be careful not to fall for what the salesperson says. Remember their first priority is to sell you something and they probably won't be around when if is it fails sooner then stated.
              I doubt Tesla will not be around. I never trusted solarcity, and it's good that others are doing installs now as well as Tesla. I don't think the numbers work for their solar roof, though that is also an option I suppose.

Since it's a new build, no new panel would be needed, and the install can be handled a lot less expensively, and would be part of the broader install process.

Still, its a lot of money, though PGE prices are very high and the house will be pretty large, so I need to do something to keep from being gouged here, esp with the new TOU rates.

I don't have an electric vehicle, so I can't use the EV rates. Though a friend told me you can lease a Fiat 500E for $69/month with no money down, and at that price, I might just get one of those just to get the EV rates - I might save enough on the PGE bill to more than pay for it even if I never used it (we have a family of 6, so it's either my large audi or the minivan that we drive). It does take up space in the garage though.

thx
              mike

Comment

The latest Fresno 500e deal on Memorial day was 6000 down, 77/month, you keep 5500 rebate. Boils down to an equivalent of paying 91 per month after all rebates accounted for and flattening all payments over the 36 months period. The latest offering, as of last weekend, is they keep the rebates, no money down, 99 per month. That is 99 per month equivalent plus a 300ish turn in fee at lease end.

More to the point, I've never heard anyone wanting an EV to get on those special low low EV rates (sarcasm). You'll need to do analysis on your usage profile to see if that would even save you money, as the daytime rates may be so high that it doesn't make sense. But from your early posts in this thread about oversizing to sell back more during peak, I'll trust you have a handle on that..
                Last edited by cebury; 06-18-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X