Use of generator to replace solar panels as a charging source of power. - Derek Laing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek Laing
    • May 2017

Use of generator to replace solar panels as a charging source of power. - Derek Laing

The system I am working on has a battery charging "controller/charger" which regulates the charging of the batteries using as algorithm to control bulk, absorption and float charge rates. This to get the best out of the solar panel array. When the generator is used to charge the batteries it feeds back through the inverter and not through the controller. If you try to charge (top-up) the batteries when the battery voltage is fairly high the inverter will not allow the generator (alternator) to latch in. The fault reported is a "frequency" to high fault. Sometimes it will report "frequency too low" as well. If you put a load onto the inverter system or if the battery voltage is relatively low, the inverter allows the generator to lock in and it charges for about 20/25 minutes or so. Not nearly long enough to make a difference to the 200 AH batteries. It then starts kicking out again on frequency fault. Here are my questions :-

Could I put a separate load onto the generator to stabilize the frequency ? Will this eneable the inverter to lock in and stay in ?

Could I install a AC/DC rectiformer to produce the 100 volt DC (suitable current rating) input and feed this back into the controller in place of the solar panel power (change over switch) into the battery controller/charger ? Would the controller look after the charging in the normal way ? Would I need to switch this off when the batteries are full or will the controller regulate the power as it requires it ?

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts !!!

Regards,

Derek Laing
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Try to "widen" the allowable frequency window in the Charger/Inverter to accept the generator variations.

Don't try to feed rectified AC into a MPPT controller, the controller is expecting the IV curve of a PV panel, not a stiff DC source. It may work with a PWM controller. You may need to include DC filtering/chokes/capacitors to reduce the AC ripple to levels the controller would work with. - easier to adjust the Frequency setpoints in software
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Derek Laing
      • May 2017

Mike 90250, thanks a million for responding. This would be a much cheaper solution and I will gladly try it. Will get hold of the inverter supplier for assistance here. My sincere thanks !!!!! Derek Laing

Comment

Working...