Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wronkiew
    • May 2017

Choosing rooftop mounting system

Hi, first post. Many thanks for all the helpful information contributed by forum uses on this site. I am planning a 6 kW rooftop system over asphalt shingle, 30-degree pitch. The roof is crumbling and 30 years old so having that ripped off at the same time. I've seen some recommendations here to put the solar mounts on before replacing the shingles. The solar installer recommended the Iron Ridge system with flashfoot mounts, which get drilled through the shingle. They also have fastjack mounts that are installed under the shingles. Iron Ridge sounds easier to install and would put the solar panels closer to the roof. Lower profile sounded good initially for improved appearance but now I am thinking it would have worse performance due to reduced airflow causing the panels to run hotter in SoCal summers. I haven't seen a comparison between the Iron Ridge flashfoot and ProSolar fastjack. Is the fastjack mount better for weatherproofing? By weather I mean rain and winds up to 100 mph. No snow.
Working...