Help (micro inverters , power optimizers, remote monitoring)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NothingInCommon
    • May 2017

Help (micro inverters , power optimizers, remote monitoring)

If you had to choose between getting micro inverters or not, "power opitimizers" or not.. what would you go with..price is ALWAYS a consideration in my case

I cannot decide, seems like having more devices adds more points of failure, but i like the idea of optimizing each panel.. is it really worth it if you know your panels wont really be getting any shade..

also the remote monitoring systems - do they all require access to the manufacturers web site? can you monitor a solar edge(or whatever brand) remotely WITHOUT logging into their servers (ie stand alone software you can have running yourself)
  • NothingInCommon
    • May 2017

also those solar edge power optimizers can they be installed on any panel?

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Solaredge can't easily be monitored without access to their webserver, although there are people who have figured out how to intercept and decode the messages. Microinverters tends to have better local access, especially Enphase, but it doesn't come cheap. 3rd party monitoring systems cost a few hundred, but can give you more control over the data (although monitoring every panel would be much more expensive)

Absolute lowest cost is usually a string inverter, although rapid shutdown requirements eat into the savings quite a bit in states that have adopted NEC 2014. Florida is still 2011 NEC, until the end of the year.

there are optimizers designed for almost all commercially available panels.

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• NothingInCommon
        • May 2017

Originally posted by sensij
        Solaredge can't easily be monitored without access to their webserver, although there are people who have figured out how to intercept and decode the messages. Microinverters tends to have better local access, especially Enphase, but it doesn't come cheap. 3rd party monitoring systems cost a few hundred, but can give you more control over the data (although monitoring every panel would be much more expensive)

Absolute lowest cost is usually a string inverter, although rapid shutdown requirements eat into the savings quite a bit in states that have adopted NEC 2014. Florida is still 2011 NEC, until the end of the year.

there are optimizers designed for almost all commercially available panels.

O boy - so its in my best interest to install it before the end of the year to avoid the more stringent requirements of this new code?

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by NothingInCommon

O boy - so its in my best interest to install it before the end of the year to avoid the more stringent requirements of this new code?
          If you go with a string inverter, yes. The new requirement will add around $500 in equipment, plus additional installation.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...