Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northshoremb
    • May 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

If the battery system is 24volt then with an MPPT CC the most you will get out of 400 watts is 17Amps ( 400w / 24v = 16.7a).

Although going to a 30 amp CC allows room to add more panels.
    OK gotcha!! Ya guess planning ahead is good idea. Just trying to get this set up now to run LCD TV, DVD player and LED light for my 6 year son when it gets dark or when it rains. I tried telling my father in law last night that a 2500w inverter won't work with the minimal batteries and panels we had but still thinks he can get by and make it work. To me it's a no brainer to sell the $600 new inverter and buy the correct one for $250 plus that allows for smaller wire, breakers, etc.
    Last edited by northshoremb; 05-10-2017, 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by northshoremb

OK gotcha!! Ya guess planning ahead is good idea. Just trying to get this set up now to run LCD TV, DVD player and LED light for my 6 year son when it gets dark or when it rains. I tried telling my father in law last night that a 2500w inverter won't work with the minimal batteries and panels we had but still thinks he can get by and make it work. To me it's a no brained to sell the $600 new inverter and by the correct one for $250 plus that allows for smaller wire, breakers, etc.
      Smart move to get rid of the large inverter. Those require big wires between it and the battery as well as have the potential to drain a battery that is much smaller then it should be.

It is hard to explain that process to someone until they try it out for themselves and either burn the insulation off the wire or kill the battery within a few minutes of operation. Neither is a fun way to learn.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

If the battery system is 24volt then with an MPPT CC the most you will get out of 400 watts is 17Amps ( 400w / 24v = 16.7a).

Although going to a 30 amp CC allows room to add more panels.
        A 30 A charge controller is getting too big for that battery (current greater than C/8). There is nothing wrong with putting more panels on the 20 A cc to get better charging throughout the day.
        The idea that a quality mppt charge controller should be sized to handle STC charge current is one of the more idiotic pieces of conventional wisdom that gets parroted too frequently here. For mppt, the charge controller is sized to the battery, the panels sized to the location and energy requirement. Only with pwm do you have to worry about an oversized array.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sensij

A 30 A charge controller is getting too big for that battery (current greater than C/8). There is nothing wrong with putting more panels on the 20 A cc to get better charging throughout the day.
          The idea that a quality mppt charge controller should be sized to handle STC charge current is one of the more idiotic pieces of conventional wisdom that gets parroted too frequently here. For mppt, the charge controller is sized to the battery, the panels sized to the location and energy requirement. Only with pwm do you have to worry about an oversized array.
          Sorry for the confusion. I guess I should have added that going to a bigger CC allows more panels and a bigger battery system that is matched to the panel wattage.

Comment

Working...