No announcement yet.

New System Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone needs a sticky post on all these acronyms you guys use wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Enough2Bdangerous View Post
      Someone needs a sticky post on all these acronyms you guys use wow.
      I'll do a half dozen for you - what are they ? Every trade/job/hobby has it's own list of acronyms, about a month ago, this same request came up, and we kicked it around, but nobody made one - sorry.
      Here's one from our sister site http://www.solarreviews.com/news/wha...s-mean-082213/
      (but those are mostly Utility/Fee terms)
      This one http://www.impresslabs.com/solar-mar...olar-acronyms/ handles a few more,
      Here's one that's a bit closer http://www.carbondiet.ca/solar/solar...rminology.html but leaves out Charge Controllers

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Project Update: Finally got to talk to the engineer at the POCO and it is good news. I definitely will not be going off-grid. The install cost for the grid electric will only cost $10K not the $35K I was told earlier. This however does not put an end to my solar project. I still plan to install some panels but they will be grid tie. Even if they don't make much economic sense it will still come in handy in the event of an outage. I'm still planning for the NG generator and some wind power but the renewable energy will be relegated to hobby status for now. The parts I have already purchased will be used on my hunting cabin.

The grid tie system will cost around $15K to build and should offset most if not all of my usage, @50kWh/day max. The windmill is more of an experiment and is a homemade design that I am sure OSHA would frown on.

Thanks to all for you information. I will continue to read and learn as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by thundercowpoke View Post
          I still plan to install some panels but they will be grid tie. Even if they don't make much economic sense it will still come in handy in the event of an outage. I'm still planning for the NG generator and some wind power but the renewable energy will be relegated to hobby status for now.
          Just exactly how do you plan to do that? It can be done with a very expensive Hybrid Inverter and batteries that you will never use. Hybrid Inverters require a fairly large battery which require a lot of $$$$
          Last edited by Sunking; 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Just exactly how do you plan to do that?
            Probably a transfer switch like most people use. Cheap and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
              Probably a transfer switch like most people use. Cheap and easy.
              Easy, yeah if you have a Hybrid Inverter, batteries, with a built in ATS. Anything but cheap. Makes no sense if you have a generator. Who the hell wants limited power when you have a whole house generator? Do not think we are on the same page.
              Last edited by Sunking; 02-17-2017, 08:37 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Already talked about net metering with the POCO using the generator and they were fine with it. I was thinking of micro inverters for the solar panels. Should be able to tie them in the same way as the generator since they are 220 AC. Will only work when the sun is shining but no need for batteries.

Comment

Already talked about net metering with the POCO using the generator and they were fine with it. I was thinking of micro inverters for the solar panels. Should be able to tie them in the same way as the generator since they are 220 AC. Will only work when the sun is shining but no need for batteries.
                  micro inverters will not work without the grid. They can not be tied in like a generator either.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Does not work that way. Grid tied systems do not work unless connected to the grid. When power goes ott, your grid tied system shuts down and disconnects. Also will not work with a Generator.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      Easy, yeah if you have a Hybrid Inverter, batteries, with a built in ATS. Anything but cheap. Makes no sense if you have a generator. Who the hell wants limited power when you have a whole house generator? Do not think we are on the same page.
                      ?? Get a generator and a transfer switch. Power goes out, throw the switch and start the gen. Or if you spend a little more money it happens automatically. Easy and cheap; you can get the parts at Home Depot. No need for a "hybrid inverter, batteries" unless you enjoy that sort of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                        ?? Get a generator and a transfer switch. Power goes out, throw the switch and start the gen. Or if you spend a little more money it happens automatically. Easy and cheap; you can get the parts at Home Depot. No need for a "hybrid inverter, batteries" unless you enjoy that sort of stuff.
                        Jeff I do not think that is what he meant. Read what he said.

I still plan to install some panels but they will be grid tie. Even if they don't make much economic sense it will still come in handy in the event of an outage
                        Panels are worthless during an outage and cannot be used with a generator. You should know that. It would require a Hybrid Inverter with built-in Transfer switch with batteries along with a very expensive Inverter with extremely limited power. I agree a Genny with ATS is the right way to go. Panels are worthless in a power outage. He would just be throwing money away.

Like I said, we are not on the same page. You are reading a different book. Butch and I caught it, you did not.
                        Last edited by Sunking; 02-18-2017, 01:33 AM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

No, generator and wind is for outages. Solar would only work when the grid was up unless there is a way to fool the micro inverters with the AC power the wind generator is making. Don't say it can't be done because that will only make me want to do it more. There is always a way. That is how new innovations happen.

Comment

No, generator and wind is for outages.
                            How is "wind for outages?"
                            Solar would only work when the grid was up unless there is a way to fool the micro inverters with the AC power the wind generator is making. Don't say it can't be done because that will only make me want to do it more. There is always a way. That is how new innovations happen.
                            Sure, there's a very easy way. Get an SMA inverter with a feature called "secure power supply." It will give you up to 2000 watts while the sun is out. (It's a string inverter, not microinverters.)

Comment

No, generator and wind is for outages. Solar would only work when the grid was up unless there is a way to fool the micro inverters with the AC power the wind generator is making. Don't say it can't be done because that will only make me want to do it more. There is always a way. That is how new innovations happen.
                              Who said it can't be done. Sure it can, you just use a bimodal inverter...
                              just like you can't run a Diesel engine on gas but sure you can convert it to gas you just would be replacing a hell of a lot of the engine to do it.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Ok it can be done. But as of yet not with micos and there is no "fooling" the technology.

There are a couple of grid tie inverters that allow up to 2000 watts of solar to work even if the grid goes down. SMA makes one of those inverters with a secure power source. Unfortunately you still can't use all of your solar wattage but if 2000w gets you what you want the go for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X