• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion with solar edge inverter

Hi all need some advice
    Long time lurker and learned a lot of this great forum
    Want expand my PV system and want to hear your opinions and comments
    Have a pretty thick skin so go ahead if needed
    I have a PV installation with 24 X 250 W mono panels orientated south no shade on a ground mount
    They feed at the moment a Chinese inverter as grid tie with zero feed in grid what is working alright
    Looking for expansion and want to change the inverter for a solar edge who would be also doing the zero feed in grid with the energy meter SE-MTR240-2-200-S1
    The expansion would be another 6 Kw or more looking at the Aleo 305 W 24 pcs or the Solar world 270W 24 pcs
    Understand that I have to mount the optimizers on the panels for the 250W I can mount the P 300 correct?
    Is this also possible for the 270W panels and will this reduce the panels to 250W or do I have to use the P400, for the 305W I have to use the P400 for sure correct?
    Then the choice of the inverter would be the 10Kw or the 11.4Kw difference in price is minimum
    Thanks in advance for all the comments advise

If you have no shade issues, why consider optimizers ? Keep existing array/inverter and just add entire new system to backfeed the breaker panel - IF you have capacity in the panel.

Also, what is the local limit for residential solar in your Grid? Most places, if you go over 10Kw, you become a commercial enterprise, not homeowner solar, Check that limit first,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The reason i looking at solar edge is as far I can find that is the only one that is able to do the zero feed in grid
      will look into the limitations
      Thanks

Comment

There are other pure GTI systems that can be set for zero backfeed. Some are mainly distributed outside the US, but Fronius has added that feature to their new GTI line to meet the new requirements of the state of Hawaii.
        It may not be obvious from the main specification pages, but look deeper and you will find it.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

OK thanks found it great info are there any others?

Comment

Though many GTI inverters can handle zero feed in, many have poor documentation on it, You are likely better suited for solaredge though with different modules and various levels of degradation for the older modules. Plus the system will have to meet current code so rapid shutdown, arc fault etc are likely.
            you could use the P320 for the 305 watt modules
            mixing modules with solaredge on the same string will not limit the newer modules production
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I would agree that a separate system would probably be a lot easier than retrofitting the old array.
              But as for your questions, the P300 would be correct for the 250W modules. For the 305W modules, you would use the P400. You can mix and match in your strings.

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post
                For the 305W modules, you would use the P400. You can mix and match in your strings.
                The P400 will work but the best fit for a 60 cell 305W modules is the P320
                The P400 is designed for 72 and 96 cell modules.
                here is the compatibility sheet:

http://www.solaredge.com/sites/defau...imizers_na.pdf
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Emartin
                  I agree that a duplicate system would be the easiest
                  The limitation that the existing inverter has is a energy meter what can handle 80 Amp max
                  This system is now on a sub panel from the main and feeding a limited part of the whole dwelling
                  My intention is to feed in the main panel 250 Amp with something like CT's on the incoming lines
                  also it save some mounting space if I go with one inverter and make the whole installation more simple
                  Thanks Butch nice catch
                  Still looking for the limitations on installing 10Kw+ by the POCO will take some time I guess
                  Still in the planning phase

Comment

Working...
                  X