Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Blake
    • Oct 2016

It cann't be magic

Hey Ive read lots and have skin in the game On one array I have 4 240 watt panels 24 v on a Blue sky 50 amp charge controller On the other I have 1 260 watt and 2 100 watt 12 v panels wired to give 24 volts on my Morningstar "The Kid". My batteries are 8 6volt agm batteries. My system was started 9 years ago. I have done lots read lots installed lots by helping many others. Sounds good eh No On my Kidd charge controller I get over amperage and controller goes to float I guess to protect it self. How can a 24 volt 260 watt panel giving 8.97 amps plus 2 100 12 volt wired properly give me over 30 amps????? The 100 watt panels are 3 years old so no rating sticker but must be below 8.97.
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by The Blake
    Hey Ive read lots and have skin in the game On one array I have 4 240 watt panels 24 v on a Blue sky 50 amp charge controller On the other I have 1 260 watt and 2 100 watt 12 v panels wired to give 24 volts on my Morningstar "The Kid". My batteries are 8 6volt agm batteries. My system was started 9 years ago. I have done lots read lots installed lots by helping many others. Sounds good eh No On my Kidd charge controller I get over amperage and controller goes to float I guess to protect it self. How can a 24 volt 260 watt panel giving 8.97 amps plus 2 100 12 volt wired properly give me over 30 amps?????
    Is this a trick question?

Total power: 460 watts (260 + 100 + 100)
    460/12 volts = 38.3 amps
    20% derating for temperature/dirt - 30.6 amps

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

It is simple 5th grade math, and the magic of a Power Converter vs a Voltage Regulator.

A PWM Controller OUTPUT CURRENT = INPUT CURRENT

So if you have 460 watts of panels using 30 volt grid tied panels on a 12 volt battery, the panels generate 15 amps of charge current That means from 460 watts you only get 12 x 15 amps = 180 watts. This is why you must use 18 volt battery panels, then you have 26 amps or 12 volts x 26 amps = 312 watts from 460 watts.

MPPT is a Power Converter. Output Current = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage.

That tells you everything you need to know if you can understand simple 5th grade math/

460 watts / 12 volts = 38.3 amps.

What is different?. Its a Power Converter. That means it is 460 watts on both side of the equation. Have a 5th grader explain it to you. With a Power convert I can have a 460 volt panel that generates 1 amp or 460 watts into the Controller. With a 12 volt battery on the converter it is converted to 12 volts @ 38 amps. If it were a 24 volt battery would be 24 volts @ 19 amps and 48 volts @ 9.5 amps.

In the mean time you really should not answer any questions or give advice on a forum. You do not have any basic fundamental understanding of electric power or solar power.
      Last edited by Sunking; 10-24-2016, 07:20 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• The Blake
        • Oct 2016

Ok thanks I can wire these solar systems. I am not an electrican. I would never give advise on electrical matters. I got my information from an electrical engineer at a solar store. He sold me the 24volt panel and the charge controller with the hope I will install one more 24 volt panel Im sure hes not a 5th grader. My controller brings in the power from 24 v panels and charges a 12 volt battery bank. Where my system is remote no phone no internet no roads so its very hard to get back to the solar store All I want is to fix this so I can have the power I need. Its a 24volt array into the converter and a 12 volt battery bank. The charge controller is MPPT. The charge controller is 30 Amp. When I started my solar it was about 9 years ago and when I went to the home show cottage show NO one would deal with me when the found out where the install was I got all my stuff over the internet and did it myself.
        Thanks SunKing im not sure where you are but I would like to get to the botton of this problem and get that last 24volt panel Mabe I can order it from you and if you live near me I can pick it up

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

I do not sell anything. Retired in Panama.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• The Blake
            • Oct 2016

Good for you helping others. I will continue to try to get to the bottom of this.If I could go to the solar store for help I would but its 2000 km drive and I'm home until ice out in May

Comment

Working...