Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Logan5
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2013

some power meters do not run backwards they only count up. and have been known to charge you for the power you solar panels produce.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kellyvb
      Why and Who says there Ilegal? There sure are a lot of then being sold here. They turn off if the grid goes down. IF I did use one, it would be installed on a dedicated breaker. I am going to check with my local PO CO to see what the deal is. Im not trying to power my entire house, just slow the meter down some.
      If you cogenerate without a contract with your POCO then you are doing something that they may not like. If you are using an inverter that does not have the proper UL listing and it is connected to a US power grid then you are doing something illegally.

It does not matter if they are being sold or not. It is your responsibility to know when you can use something legally or not. All types of things are sold but are not always allowed to be used everywhere and anywhere. You have to check the law and codes before you just use something.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Randolph
        What I have in mind are: two Solarworld mono 345 watt 24 volt 9.1 amp panels; two 212 AH 12 volt sealed Sun Extender batteries; Morningstar MPPT 45 charge controller; Samlex 2200 watt, 24 volt inverter.
        Ok. That is what we need. Those 2 panels can generate close to 29 amp (690 watts/ 24v = 28.8amps) using an MPPT CC. You need to check to see what the fastest rate those Sun Extender batteries can be charged at because with 28.8 amps that would be ~ C/7.4 (212/28.8 = 7.36) which is high for FLA type batteries but might be ok for those.

Your battery system is a 24v 212Ah which is roughly 5100watt hour. That 2200 watt inverter could drain it pretty quickly so it is a little big and you might want to look for a way to limit your loads or find a smaller wattage inverter.

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Why and Who says there Ilegal?
          Your power company.
          There sure are a lot of then being sold here.
          Sure; people like to make money. They will be happy to sell you something you can't legally use as long as you have a valid credit card.
          They turn off if the grid goes down. IF I did use one, it would be installed on a dedicated breaker.
          OK great. It sounded like you were saying that your inverter would "be plugged into a standard outlet." If you wire it directly to a dedicated circuit that's a lot safer. Still not legal of course.
          Im not trying to power my entire house, just slow the meter down some.
          Yeah, that's sort of the definition of grid tie.

Comment

• Randolph
            • Sep 2016

The Sun Extender battery folks say there 12 vt AGM battery can accept 1060 amps. From your comments I'm thinking I could drop down to a 1500 or 2000 watt inverter and go with the next larger size batteries @258 ah. Would this be a little more balanced? Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

Your local POCO wont allow a non UL listed, plug in inverter. It's either the real deal or nothing. Have you considered using a small, independent, off-grid, setup for some loads? Works out real nice for me, especially when the grid goes down and we still have internet and satellite TV.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Randolph
                The Sun Extender battery folks say there 12 vt AGM battery can accept 1060 amps. From your comments I'm thinking I could drop down to a 1500 or 2000 watt inverter and go with the next larger size batteries @258 ah. Would this be a little more balanced? Thanks so much for your help.
                The higher 258Ah rating of the battery and lower 1500w inverter would be a better match over all.

Comment

• kellyvb
                  • Sep 2016

I was trying to keep the cost down. Cant really afford to spend a couple thousand on batteries. Isn't 1200 watts a rather small system?. Looks like I just WASTED 1400 bucks on this stuff. It's funny that this government is always wanting us to so GREEN but they make it so GD difficult to do. I wanted to wire 2 of the panels in parallel, run them to a disconnect box, then to a 1200 watt GT inverter. The same with the other 2. I bought 2 inverters so there would be no chance of overloading. Both inverters were to be connected to their own dedicated circuit for further safety. .

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

I was trying to keep the cost down. Cant really afford to spend a couple thousand on batteries. Isn't 1200 watts a rather small system?. Looks like I just WASTED 1400 bucks on this stuff. It's funny that this government is always wanting us to so GREEN but they make it so GD difficult to do. I wanted to wire 2 of the panels in parallel, run them to a disconnect box, then to a 1200 watt GT inverter. The same with the other 2. I bought 2 inverters so there would be no chance of overloading. Both inverters were to be connected to their own dedicated circuit for further safety. .
                    Unfortunately they want us to do things but it has to be by their rules. I wish we could install solar in stages to keep the costs down but it just does not work that way.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Sun King,
                      What did you mean by your comment (Never going to happen. Quit wasting our time with your silly nonsense) ?
                      Illegal not to mention just plain ole silly.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

I was trying to keep the cost down. Cant really afford to spend a couple thousand on batteries.
                        Agreed. Pure grid tie is much cheaper (AND more cost-effective.)
                        Looks like I just WASTED 1400 bucks on this stuff.
                        Yep, that's pretty common when you buy first and plan later. At least it was only $1400.
                        It's funny that this government is always wanting us to so GREEN but they make it so GD difficult to do.
                        It's really not that difficult, and given how fast solar is expanding in the US, most people don't find it all that hard.

Keep in mind that many of the rules that local utilities use come from the NEC (the National Electrical Code) which is published by the NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association.) Note the word "fire" in there. It's an important word, because most of the rules in the NEC don't come from bureaucratic busybodies trying to make your life more difficult. They come from fires, and electrocutions, and loss of service events. Most rules in the NEC are there because someone burned down their house (or business) by doing something foolish, and the NEC strives to prevent that in the future. Needless to say they don't always get it 100% right, but they get it right far more often than they get it wrong.

Comment

• kellyvb
                          • Sep 2016

OK, how bout this scenario. What size inverter and charge controler and how many batteries would it take to run a load that's 1400 watts 24/7 using my 4 300 watt panels?

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

OK, how bout this scenario. What size inverter and charge controler and how many batteries would it take to run a load that's 1400 watts 24/7 using my 4 300 watt panels?
                            You want to run a load that is 33.6kWh daily with only 1200 watts of panels and some batteries.That would require a battery rated 48volt and 2800Ah which could be as big as a car and cost as much. You would also need about 10 times that 1200 watts of panels to charge that battery system.

IMO you would be better off just getting a 20kw propane whole house generator to run your loads.

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

That is a very easy question to answer.
                              It would take a nearly infinite number of batteries, replaced regularly, because 1200W nominal of solar power, over at most about 5 hours per day, will not be able to make up for a 1400W load 24/7.

Was that really the question you were trying to ask?

If you are asking a more general design question about sizing a system, where you start with the design load, then select the inverter, and batteries and then the CC and panels to match your location, you will find very complete design spreadsheets in the sticky threads of the Off Grid section.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• kellyvb
                                • Sep 2016

OK, So whats the point in going solar at all, IT IS SO GD EXPENSIVE how could any home owner even justify the cost of it. I sure cant.

Comment

Working...